Problems with CCI-BR4's

.gacton

As the title states, I'm starting to see some problems with BR4's. Random failure to fire. In my Savage F-TR rifle, out of three twenty round strings there may be one that will not fire. Then, again, there may be three. Re-cock multiple times and no fire. Could be the fourth round fired, or the twentieth round. Very random. Pull the bullet, dump the powder, change the primer, reload and all is well. At first, I thought I had gotten a bad lot. Changed to a new lot of primers. About half way through this lot I'm seeing it also. Not frequent, and very random. Anyone else seeing this?

I had a problem a while back with them while fireforming some .19-223 rounds. A new firing pin spring (Cooper model 21) fixed the problem instantly.... Verify you Don't have excessive headspace. BR-4's are thick, hard primers, but very good primers.

Don't think it's a headspace issue. Rifle was re-barreled in January. Problem started before that. Firing pin spring is always a possibility. Thanks.

If you have a friend who could try some that would be an option. I'm betting it's something with the rifle or primer seating.

FWIW - I had a Marlin 1895 that had a complete action job done including a lightened hammer spring. Rifle shot great while using Federal 210M primers. But when Federal primers were hard to locate I switched to CCI BR4 primers which resulted in 10%-20% misfires. Went back to Federal primers and the FTFs stopped.
As an experiment, I put the original factory hammer spring back in. The CCIs were fine with the heavier spring.

The primer cup on the CCIBR primers are thicker than Federal non AR specific primers. All the CCI primers work with no problems in free floating firing pin rifles like ARs etc. Federal is NOT to be used in these type rifles from my experience of personally having an M1 Garand double and triple fire from slam fire and seeing others have the same problems inM1, M1a and ARs. I have seen people with your problem come into my friends gun shop a few times and a new spring fixed the problem Main rifles that he said came in were factory Ruger 77s. Over time their firing pin springs just get weak and misfires start. Only time I ever experience your problem was when I first started using Wolf primers a number years ago. These were just a hair larger round and you really had to put pressure on them to seat right. Once I learned this I never had any more problems. Good luck in your fix.

I'm going to shoot a match in two weeks, and then one in November to finish the season before taking it apart. Talked to my gunsmith about it yesterday and he wants me to check the firing pin. The action has about 3000 rounds on it, so the end of the pin may be rounding. The spring could be a little weak. Combined with the hardness of the BR4 cups, I hope to find the problem this winter/spring. If everything looks good on the rifle, I may have to change primers. We will see. Oh, well. About time to get ready for deer season!

I seat Feds at 2thou crush into pockets. CCIs tested better at 4thou crush, to better sensitize them.
As mentioned your spring could be weak, pin worn, or, your pin could have slipped in it's cocking piece. If that happened you'll see occasional fliers and eventually random misfires. From here it would take a day session & handful of tools to reset the released pin protrusion back to optimum.
Other things, gummed up pin, poor sear release from the trigger. Sear impacts internal with cocking piece. The action tang could be rubbing the released cocking piece.

The only primer I have ever had an issue with is the BR4's. About 12 years ago i was trying them in a 722 222 Rem. Mag and about 30% FTF. I pulled the rounds apart and replaced with Rem 7.5 then all went bang.
450's BR4's and 7.5 all have a thickness of .025. I shoot 450's in a couple rifles because they like them better than 7.5 but mostly I shoot 7.5. I dont think cup thickness is the issue if other primers will work with the same cup thickness like in my case.
If you google BR4's you'll likely find theres has been issues out there with BR4 FTF.

All of my Savage rifles would close on a no go gauge. Had 3 Savages that would misfire on CCI primers, but still fire in my Remingtons. I increased the pin depth. No help. Bought, but did not install a heavier firing pin spring. Then checked headspace. Rotated the barrel in just a smidge so it would close on the go, but not completely on the no go gauge. The problem went away. All of mine had no iron sights, and I could still read the printing on the left side of the barrel. They were VERY accurate even with the excessive headspace.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.