CCI 400 compared to 450 or BR4

Nuclear Worker

Working at getting components for my wife's 6BR. Found 8 Lb of Varget Lapua brass and Lapua 105's.was able to score some CCI 400 primers today on Powder Valley. It seems like most load data calls for BR4 or 450's. Will these work ok?

I would say yes.
Usually around 60 gr of powder is when you would want to jump to mag primers.
In fact I was Messi g around with my dads 6.5 creedmore and found I could get more varget and less pressure in that case using non mag primers.

I use CCI 400's in a 6 dasher with h4350, for the same reason as you, couldnt find 450's. The past year the 400's have been perfect, zero problems.

Ya I'm almost thinking that they are actually slightly better than the 450's for smaller cases. Everyone gets caught up in mag primers for everything but the br is small short case that shouldn't have any need for a mag primer. If components were not so scarce I would be switching a few of my sub 60gr loads over to standard primers from what I saw on two creedmore loads I've used it for.

Pretty sure many like small rifle magnum primers in the br/dasher cases for the thicker cup. If you are running an .062" firing pin and smaller hole in bolt face, you will likely not see any issues. People with big firing pin hole that tend to "lean" on the powder charge can pop primers easier with standard primers where mag primers or the new 205match AR fed or CCI41 are a little tougher.

That's probably true but reality tells us that if you are pooping primers you way over pressure. Hiding it does not mean it's not over pressure.
Or they have a lose firing pin. I've seen guys running Savage actions with replacement barrels pop primers short of pressure, there are more benefits to "nice" actions than just the face being cut square - cheap actions can have a multitude of problems, they're luck of the draw.

A popped (pierced) primer could just as well be a pressure test of the cup material as the chamber pressure. In IPSC years back 38 Super major PF (175) we used WSR primers to to control cratering. Now these loads were dead nuts WAY over pressure, but they ignited in handguns with 100% consistency. No other rifle primers worked because the cups were too darn tough.
Moving to rifles I see various "reads" on different primers indicating pressure that aren't supported by case measurements.
That's probably true but reality tells us that if you are pooping primers you way over pressure. Hiding it does not mean it's not over pressure.
Look, if I'm "pooping primers" I'm the goose that laid the golden egg these days. All in good fun man.