Problems with annealing by hand?

If so, you need to anneal after every firing, IMHO. Take the brass back to the same state every time. Every firing without annealing makes it harder, thereby reducing consistency between firings.

I have a stainless 1/8" rod that I chuck up in my drill, the case slips over the rod, rotate, heat, drop into water.
I do it in dim light, i.e. after dark with just a small desk light burning.
Once you see any luminescence on the brass, you're done, drop it. It's a very dull red.....
Under a fluorescent light, you won't see it until the brass is too hot.

I have used the old pan and water trick for years, Stop the neck splitting, and it became the primer pocket that would go. I didn't have the problems that were mention above. I was very careful on the heat on the necks. Now I going to the high end anealer. I am changing my whole reloading process completely. Thanks to Long Range Shooting. Somethings I was and had been doing correctly and others not so good, but I got most of the rifles to 1/2" grouping at 100yds with my system of reloading. Shortly I will see if I can't tighten up on my groups. I am looking forward to see what I can do with the new processes, brass, and brass prep. I work on two lines. Velocity, and Accuracy. Both have to be there or I won't use them. 25-06 was my main go to rifle for years. Sized 270, 30-06 case to 25-06 cases. Never has that problem. I didn't have the primer pocket loosen up either.
F398C622-624F-409F-810F-45DD9482947C.jpeg

@338 dude, Nice picture regardless
Thank you I didn't mean to get off topic I annealed by hand then I bought an annealeez I ended up selling it to you this is what I have now it's very hard for everyone just as myself but in this sport I definitely say buy once cry once and if I don't do that I'll save up for a long time and get what I want eventually

Like many here I anneal by hand with a propane torch, a drill motor and a socket. makes for a great way to keep valuable brass around for much longer and it makes forming brass much easier and less scrap. I still loose lots of R-P brass even though I anneal it every time I shoot it. Most specifically my 30-30 , 17 rem, and my 22-250. the funny thing is I just neck size the 17 rem and 22-250 and still loose 25% to 50% of the brass I fire.

Thank you I didn't mean to get off topic I annealed by hand then I bought an annealeez I ended up selling it to you this is what I have now it's very hard for everyone just as myself but in this sport I definitely say buy once cry once and if I don't do that I'll save up for a long time and get what I want eventually
I agree Bill the machine I got from you works perfect and saves me a bunch of time but it was decades before I could afford one and had to make do with what I had, I started with my fingers then went to the drill and socket and now the machine I got from you ( Thank you again) and it saves a lot of time but my accuracy never changed from fingers to the machine

I ruined some 25-06 cases years ago when I didn't know any better. Stood them up in a pan of water and torched the necks until they started to turn red then tipped them over into water. Loaded them and the necks were dead soft - got them too hot. If the shoulders survived seating bullets, then they collapsed on firing. I think the necks didn't seal the chamber and gas pressure got as far back as the shoulders (which were also soft) and caved them in. Only shot 2 of them and quit.

I read as much as I could find about annealing temps after that and had better success. I now run a Giraud. Not for accuracy reasons, although it might help. I do it to save brass. I was splitting necks on up to 15% of my brass at 4-6 firings. Since using to Giraud, zero brass lost to split necks - they go until the primer pockets loosen - 12-20 firings.
Same with me decades ago. Tried the same process and ruined several cases. I'd have a better result using a variable speed drill on low speed. Got the hang of speed control before trying the torch. Used Templaq to get the best results. Got 20 reloads using that process. I got away from shooting for a few decades when I got bit by the fly fishing bug. Now I'm back, the knees and hips don't allow wading anymore. I will bet getting an automatic annealer in the future when I can justify the cost to my better half.

I recently purchased an annealeez. The machine is well built and functions as intended. I am still testing the results at different temperatures/run times. I started with 750 tempilaq and worked up from there in 2% settings on the machine. I shot for groups with my magnetospeed on and found no changes at that low of a heat, if anything my groups and SD/ES opened up.

The more reading I do the more I think the dull red glow people might be right. Annealing is a factor of heat over time. At just hitting 750 you may be stress relieving but I do not think we are annealing. Lots of information out there, AMP has some of the best studies which suggest a higher peak temp is needed. I loaded up 8 sets of 8 from no annealing to dull red glow and will shoot them this weekend.

I bring this up because salt bath annealing was mentioned, I do not think it can reach temps required to anneal the neck without overheating the base. AMP has published information on their website stating the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.