Problem with Leupold scope question.

earl1704

According to Leupold this scope is fine. Looking for suggestions on what to try next, short of throwing it away.
Particulars:
Leupold VX3 6.5 X 20 X 50 mm Long Range Scope
110 AccuBond bullets
270 WSM
100 yard target
Used Brian Litz suggestion on checking out a scope by drawing a perpendicular line with one aim point. Used a level to draw a line vertical and horizontal. Orange dot is aim point, each shot is 4 clicks apart (1") e.g. 4 clicks + 4 clicks + 4 clicks and so on.
Shooting is from a FCX Caldwell rest.
Temperature about 20 degrees (Idaho winter).
Little to know wind.
On other targets at 100 yards I can shoot 1-1/2 to 2" moa with an occasional wild shot (1 out of 4), if I move target to 200 yards I ALWAYS drop 5 to 6 inches right and down which will have a 5-6 inch group at best. When I try to move turrets to zero it at 200 yds I get wild fluctuations on point of impact it could be 2 inches or 8 inches with 4 clicks, factory or reload ammunition.
A local gunsmith checked the rifle out and remounted and checked the scope this last time (a local dealer did the first mount I have done several re-mounts since then).
The scope was removed from another rifle with problems and was replaced with a Vortex (no more problems). Sent the Leupold in for repairs which they did, mounted it on the 270 WSM worked well for a few months now problems again.
Is there anything I am missing?
Notice the pattern on horizontal movement 2 together 2 together that seems to be a pattern when I shoot this rifle/scope anyone know what might cause this?
I know Leupold has a lifetime warranty but that I have come to find out that means there is "nothing wrong" it must be "something else" but they don't know what. The last phone conversation I had with them was "people just shoot differently".
The shooter on this turret test was not me but the best shooter I know and she doesn't know what the problem is.
Thanks for any input...............Earl

Attachments

• IMG_1933.jpg
    IMG_1933.jpg
    689.6 KB · Views: 262
You state that you can usually shoot 1.5-2.0 moa at 100 yards with an occasional flyer.
Moving to 200 yards, it is very realistic for you to shoot 2-3 moa (4-6" group). Everything gets magnified as the distance increases. As you move your shooting distance out further, your moa accuracy does not automatically remain the same. 1 moa groups at 100 yards does not mean you can shoot 1 moa groups at 800 yards.
It is difficult to know if it is the scope having issues or other parts of your setup, or could be shooting technique.

I built myself a fixture to check tracking and return to zero of my scopes. It's real simple and seems to get the job done. The tricky part about using this is getting a target placed at exactly 100 yds or whatever distance you want to use.
ScopeTestFixture2.jpg

I built myself a fixture to check tracking and return to zero of my scopes. It's real simple and seems to get the job done. The tricky part about using this is getting a target placed at exactly 100 yds or whatever distance you want to use.
View attachment 87115
I have something very similar that gets "attached" to my permanent bench in my yard, have a taped 100 yards.

OP,
Without knowing the other shooter and you saying your groups aren't tight or consistent, take the scope off and check it.
If you are trusting enough to send an $800 riflescope to a total stranger, I'd check it for ya.:eek::D
Good luck!

after reading your post, something comes to mind that may help. wondering if:
-you are using 2 piece bases or a rail that the rings are mounted on?
-are the ring screws torqued at the recommended mfgr spec (usually 20-25 in. lbs.) and not over tightened?

had something like this happen a few years ago. could be that the scope is torqued by misaligned rings and/or ring screws too tight squeezing the internal movement. finally went with a bedded rail on the magnum rifle, it seemed to help; although the original scope ended up on a lesser recoiling rifle and worked perfectly; coincidentally a VX3. there were imprints of the rings on the scope tube with the 2 piece bases (before the rail was installed). after the bedded rail install, no ring marks were on another virgin scope that I used on that rifle. I am thinking that the 2 piece bases didn't perfectly align the rings concentrically, causing a stressed scope tube where the internals were binding.... maybe the smith checked this out? or maybe not?
hope you get to the bottom of the issue.
you could try the tracking at 50 yards and double the number of clicks to get 1" increments; 8 clicks; so you can see if it tracks ok.

According to Leupold this scope is fine. Looking for suggestions on what to try next, short of throwing it away.
Particulars:
Leupold VX3 6.5 X 20 X 50 mm Long Range Scope
110 AccuBond bullets
270 WSM
100 yard target
Used Brian Litz suggestion on checking out a scope by drawing a perpendicular line with one aim point. Used a level to draw a line vertical and horizontal. Orange dot is aim point, each shot is 4 clicks apart (1") e.g. 4 clicks + 4 clicks + 4 clicks and so on.
Shooting is from a FCX Caldwell rest.
Temperature about 20 degrees (Idaho winter).
Little to know wind.
On other targets at 100 yards I can shoot 1-1/2 to 2" moa with an occasional wild shot (1 out of 4), if I move target to 200 yards I ALWAYS drop 5 to 6 inches right and down which will have a 5-6 inch group at best. When I try to move turrets to zero it at 200 yds I get wild fluctuations on point of impact it could be 2 inches or 8 inches with 4 clicks, factory or reload ammunition.
A local gunsmith checked the rifle out and remounted and checked the scope this last time (a local dealer did the first mount I have done several re-mounts since then).
The scope was removed from another rifle with problems and was replaced with a Vortex (no more problems). Sent the Leupold in for repairs which they did, mounted it on the 270 WSM worked well for a few months now problems again.
Is there anything I am missing?
Notice the pattern on horizontal movement 2 together 2 together that seems to be a pattern when I shoot this rifle/scope anyone know what might cause this?
I know Leupold has a lifetime warranty but that I have come to find out that means there is "nothing wrong" it must be "something else" but they don't know what. The last phone conversation I had with them was "people just shoot differently".
The shooter on this turret test was not me but the best shooter I know and she doesn't know what the problem is.
Thanks for any input...............Earl
Take a scope from a not so used rifle and see if you get better groups if you do it is probebly the scope you have on it now.

View attachment 87115
How are you using this? Looking through the scope as you move it? Thanks for your input.........Earl

How are you using this? Looking through the scope as you move it? Thanks for your input.........Earl

Yes (thought I would answer since we are probably doing something similar), I have a scope mount/rail bolted to a wooden block that can be attached to a very solid bench (I use straps so I can adjust it where needed with wedges or whatever).
Put up my level target (first), mount the scope to block and adjust to target, and then crank the turrets up/down, left/right. I do this before firing because you can spot inconsistency in adjustments and reticle before firing a single round. You can also check turret adjustments throughout it's entire range of the motion.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.