Problem with calcs for 4dof and strelok

Xescane

Well I have a odd one for everyone. I have been trying to do some long range shooting using the hornaday 4dof and strelok apps. They have both consistently been way off for my gun. See details below. Any help is appreciated.

4dof says come up 17.93 moa and 0.48 left. Actual hits at 12.35 up and 1.25 left.
Range: 12" steel. 905 yards at 8 degrees down. 0 wind. 68% humidity. 55 degrees. Elevation 4100. Pressure 28.5

Rifle: Savage 10t-sr 300win mag.
26" barrel with 1/10 twist.
178 gr eld-x hornaday 3025fps
Zeroed at 200 yards .3 moa hits constantly

I tried it at 675 yards too. It said to some up 8 moa. Actual hits at 5.25 moa.

The bc is automatically set when you pick the bullet from the list in the app. I figured since it's hornadys bullet and there app it should be spot on.

I use Strelok quite a bit with several rifles and has been accurate. One rifle 280AI was giving me a hard time out past 600 and found it was a velocity issue. Went back and rechecked with a magneto speed reset zero values in Strelock and now can take it out to 1k without issue.

Have you chronoed your load to make sure its 3025 fps? 5 moa difference at 905 yards is probably more than just bc. I'd hate to believe scope tracking would be off that much but that's another possibility
Chronoed it on site this morning at 3025 to 3030. This degree of moa off has been consistant each time I've taken it out. Vortex viper 6-24x60 moa. Plus it would have to be off by hundreds to be that big of a difference.

Last edited:
In my 4dof I entered ur inputs and got the same data it gave u. According to me app, I'm needing 3500fps mv to match ur drops. So I'm thinking u have something else wrong in ur dialing or zero...you should check ur scope tracking by doing a tall target test.

I can certainly give it a try. Here a question. When it asks for the sight height on which end of the scope do you measure this? since I have a 20 moa rail on the gun the front and back are different.
From your bolt. Measure the diameter of ur bolt and scope tube, divide each value in half, then add that to the gap between the bolt and scope tube.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.