Problem with Browning Boss

raisincenter

My brother has a 300 win mag in Browning Boss. He was shooting it for the first time to day. Factory ammo cycled great. His reloads wouldn't feed. ONe in the mag one in the chamber would feed. Two or three in the mag one in the chamber the last one/two would jam. Anybody ever heard of this. Obviously there could be something wrong with the handloads, but these were loaded rather carefully and crimped with the lee crimp die, powder charges all trickled individually, seated carefully one at a time. Just wondering if there was anything up with these guns that someone might have heard of causing this to happen. This is the MKII Safari grade.

Last edited:
What type of jam? failure to feed? failure to extract, Short stroke, double feed? what type of brass and what was the brass preperation procedure?

Most of them were short stroking, a few were just failure to feed. Brass was just full length sized and loaded. It was virgin winchester brass. load was from 64 to 71 grains of AA3100. I don't think he went over 71 grains max is 73 in the sierra manual I have. 71 is the "accuracy" load. He was shooting 190 SMK Again it would fire the one in the chamber and then one in the mag, but it wouldn't cycle a third round.

Browning BAR - Cabela's Talk Forums

Sounds like a gas problem. i found the above thread that discusses a similar problem with the bigger magnums and slow powders in the BAR. may want to try a different powder, or work up to a hotter load. also make sure that new brass is trimmed and deburred.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.