Browning a bolt eclipse w/ boss

Clndesl

Ok so I have a browning abolt eclipse in 300wm. I like the action and the thumbhole laminate stock is ok too. So what I really don't like is the boss (adjustable break) the barrel is a heavy contour so I would think it would be ok. I am wondering if I can take off the boss and just put a normal break on or will accuracy suffer. I reload so the boss is useless. Oh and I gotta bed the stock. Are there any good browning smiths cause I think the action would make a cool custOm.

Years ago I had a Browning SS in 300 wm with BOSS. The 26" barrel seemed to be just a bit awkward so I removed the boss and started again working up loads. No success. None.

So I'm guessing that Browning BOSS rifles are made to shoot with the boss on for best results.

Fast forward to now and I'm still shooting my rebarreled Short action Browning with a 26" #4 stainless barrel in a Browning laminated target stock.

So take off the boss and shoot it. Your mileage may differ. :D

Does anyone know a good Browning Smith. Im not sure if anyone wants to work on them. I think im going to just rebarrel it and re-bed it. I have a new Kreiger 30cal blank in my safe that was for my 700P but I guess I could just use that for this build. Please suggest a Smith that has done some Brownings. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.