Browning BOSS settings

Trekster

Thanks in advance:

I know this is a needle in the haystack question but I am looking for a starting point on a couple new loads. Does anyone shoot the following with good groups?

300WSM 180 gr. Partitions
7WSM 168 gr. Bergers

If so, do you mind sharing your BOSS settings?

Thanks again.

I'm afraid you're correct about the needle in a haystack. I have a 270win with a BOSS and have tried to find this type of info. In the end I had to go with the mfg recs and play with it when shooting factory loads. After I started to handload I basically set it and forgot it. I set it to what the factory said and worked my load up and never touched it again.

When I shot factory loads, I really liked it. Now that I handload, I'd rather not have it.

Thanks gentlemen.. I appreciate your responses.

cstilt... this is what I am trying to decide. I reload too and just deciding which avenue to take. Fine tune the BOSS or fine tune the load.

MR2005.. thank you as well. I wish it were that easy. An owner of the BOSS system would know how difficult it is to obtain accurate data. But thanks for giving it a shot.

Thanks gentlemen.. I appreciate your responses.

cstilt... this is what I am trying to decide. I reload too and just deciding which avenue to take. Fine tune the BOSS or fine tune the load.

MR2005.. thank you as well. I wish it were that easy. An owner of the BOSS system would know how difficult it is to obtain accurate data. But thanks for giving it a shot.
Not to correct your condescention...But I have owned 2 Browning 7mm RemMags with BOSS systems, and still own one of them. It's not that difficult of a problem to fix. You can either pick a spot and tune the load, or snatch the barrel and put a regular barrel on it, and tune the load to that barrel's node preference. Those are your ONLY 2 options for the BOSS rifles, unless you are into self-inflicted torture...In whcih case, go for trying to tune the BOSS to your current load.

I suggest you pick a spot and fine tune the load... That's what I've done, and it's worked just fine for me. Set your boss in the sweet spot that Browning recommends, and tweak your load for fine-tuning. I think you'll like the outcome. Mine was shooting 1/2" groups @ 100 till the barrel fell off the deep end. I'm fixing to rebarrel it with a spare 26" 7mm RM barrel (non-BOSS) that I have sitting around, so I will still have a lightweight whitetail rig.

But I guess only a BOSS owner could tell you how difficult that is... :rolleyes:

Mud runner,
Who would you recommend to do a rebarrel job on a browning abolt? What rand barrel are you planning to use?
Thanks

Mud runner,
Who would you recommend to do a rebarrel job on a browning abolt? What brand barrel are you planning to use?
Thanks

Browning A bolt actions are second only to Weatherby. They have the potential to be better than Tikka, Remington, Savage etc. I honestly have to say I have not worked on building them that often. I did one 26 years ago and just finished up one about two weeks ago. I spoke with a lot of my friends in my circle that are very well known gunbuilders. They all do not want to work on them. This kinda gives the impression that they are not worth having for a build. This is far from the truth. There reasons are very valid though. (1) they have enough work on the easy actions that they have experience in. (2) they are not as common, so parts are not as readily available, The selection of stocks and other gadgets to sell and make money on are not there. THE FINAL PROBLEM IS...They are a true bitch to get the barrel off. If you do get it off , it should not go back on. To get them off you literally have to heat the action up. Put ice on the barrel. Put a clamp on the barrel and hit the clamp with a sledge. If that does not work then put a pipe wrench on it and sledge it again. Then the process of putting it back on. To use a reamer just to tune the factory barrel, to set the leade or freebore for what ever specified bullet will be used. Most will remove the bolt and go in from the rear, Hardly accurate. They do this because it is nearly impossible, to for above mentioned reasons, to take the barrel off and remove a couple threads off the barrel to take the factory slop out. Browning gunbuilders are few and far in between but the ones that truly know what the hell they are doing can deliver a superior product. I do not know Len Backus, The owner of this forum but some one might give him a ring to see if he has a great understanding of them and if he works on them. DO NOT ASK ME. I AM GRATEFULLY RETIRED. I was a slave to my passion, now I drink beer and sit on my bench and shoot. Not at the same time of coarse. If Len does not work on these then I will recommend a great gun builder that knows Brownings.

Mud runner,
Who would you recommend to do a rebarrel job on a browning abolt? What rand barrel are you planning to use?
Thanks

Any good smith should be able to rebarrel an A-Bolt for you.

As for the barrel...That is top-secret G13 classified info posted right between the moon landing and the '42 Roswell incident. LOL

Sadly, I am a very frugle-minded person, and my smith understands that. Some of you might remember the lightweight Rem 700 7mm RemMag I built early this year for deer season? Well... Brownings have a smaller shank and tennon diameter than a Remington 700, and that barrel has already been worked, hand-lapped, and proven to shoot, so I will be re-using that barrel.

Yes, to some, it might be sacreligious to put a Remington barrel on a Browning, but I will be having it turned to where the writing is underneath the stock, so you can't see what brand barrel it is. Plus, I would lose money selling it, so might as well use it, since it's paid for...Right?

Thanks in advance:

I know this is a needle in the haystack question but I am looking for a starting point on a couple new loads. Does anyone shoot the following with good groups?

300WSM 180 gr. Partitions
7WSM 168 gr. Bergers

If so, do you mind sharing your BOSS settings?

Thanks again.

What goes well in one rifles (with the BOSS System) will probably shoot different or not as good in another. A friend bought a rifle with the BOSS System (Muzzle Brake) on it and this video put out by Browning was a big help tuning it to the correct hand load.
http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=GQGI6HYsTBU

Well after much testing here are my results with a 1/2 in group at 100 yds.
300WSM
180 gr. Partitions
RL19 powder
67 grns
CCI 250 primers
winchester brass
and the BOSS setting at 2.1 for the sweet spot.

Which someone had the exact same combo with the sweet spot at 1.6. So pretty close.

Hope someone can benefit from this.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.