Primer seated deep enough?

• Thread starter Deleted member 107666
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107666

Not sure how much pressure to put on this. Seems to he a nice firm pressure and I'd have to squeeze a good deal to get these to seat anymore.

Primer pockets were uniformed to max saami for large rifle primers .031 I beleive. Figured with thar these should sit a little lower?

Are these good to go?

Edit: pics were about just shy of fully seated. Ended up seating them at .006 for a .002 crush based on suggestions here.

20190819_132209.jpg
20190819_132225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
check the primer pocket depth , then check the primer itself and then seat it with about 2 to 3 thousandths deeper, lets say my primer pocket is .130(thats where I uniform them to) and my primer is .127 I set the primer at .005 under the shell for a 2 thou "crush" fit

Primers are .127
Pockets are .131

I'm not sure on the math from here for a 2 thou crush....what would I he looking for on the calipers .006?

Last edited by a moderator:
Primers are .127
Pockets are .131

I'm not sure on the math from here for a 2 thou crush....what would I he looking for on the calipers .006 thou?

@TwoMore
if my pocket was .131 and my primer was .127 I would end up at .006 under.

now I am after the best es I can find and primer seating is one of things I have found for me. but if you are happy with reloading and not concerned with es so much set them just under the case

Lots more pressure than I thought to get them seated that far. Glad i asked. Initially they would have been seated .003 high by my math now.

Ya'll are awesome.

Ideally, Primers are flush and against the bottom of the primer pocket so there is little if any movement when the firing strikes it or pressure moves it. If it is slightly below flush, There will be some movement and sometimes this breaks the seal and causes primers to leak damaging the bolt face when high pressure loads are used.

A few thousandths below flush wont normally cause any problems as long as High Pressure loads (65,000 + PSI) are not used and only subtracts from the total amount of firing pin strike. if the firing pin strike is set up to be .055 thousandths you can subtract the 5 or 6 thousandths from the .055 for the theoretical travel.

If the firing pin is set to the minimum, with the primer being low, it mite cause misfires. so if your firing pin is .055 to .065 you should not have a problem.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts