Primer question

bstomper

I worked up a load for my 7mm R.E.M. Mag using CCI #250 magnum primers. I am having a hard time finding the in my area. Can I use the federal #215 magnum primers in place of the CCI ones or will that screw things up with my current load

I worked up a load for my 7mm R.E.M. Mag using CCI #250 magnum primers. I am having a hard time finding the in my area. Can I use the federal #215 magnum primers in place of the CCI ones or will that screw things up with my current load

There's variations from lot#s in powders and primers so even if you find a CCI, you may or may not experience a different result to your current load. Always proceed with caution and adjust accordingly.

Good luck!

b, some switch primers to see if accuracy improves. I only buy primers by 1000's so there is no lot difference. Perhaps someone has a link to a primer chart. Good luck

bstomper,

You probably will not suffer any negative effects. It is the last thing I do when working up a new load. Pressure out, then over all length, then load up five with all the primers I have. Occasionally groups are reduced by half or more! That has happened with two rifle only. Normally the best one will be 20%-25% better than others.

It takes me hours to do the primer test because I let the barrel cool between all shots. The only time I fire one shot quickly after another is if I miss or wound while hunting.

It will likely change results of your current load.
There is a possibility that you might dial current results back in, with the Feds, through firing pin protrusion adjustment. There is even the possibility that your results would improve with no further efforts. That would just be lucky though.

There's variations from lot#s in powders and primers so even if you find a CCI, you may or may not experience a different result to your current load. Always proceed with caution and adjust accordingly.

Good luck!

This.

In a Creedmoor and 308 changing brands and mag to regular the POI can be slightly different, but the pressure generated is the same on the pressure trace.

Thanks guys
One more quick question. Now I don't want to start a debate on what's the best primers but on my research on 7mm R.E.M. Mag reloading, the federal 215 seems to be more popular over the CCI. Why is that. With the CCI I have accomplished .5 MOA and I'm happy with that but I was just wondering why the federal seem to be more popular.

Ignorant prejudice is used a lot. Lots of bench resters use Federal. I always start with Federal 215 in large rifles and CCI BR-4 in small rifles. Often these give me the best groups. But not always.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.