Premier Reticles 5-25

After spending 30 years in the military and 10 years as a sniper instructor for a police swat team I know probably a little more about riflescopes than you do. When specialized scopes are ordered for the military or police swat teams there are certain parameter required. One of them may be to zero a scope to a specific caliber and distance. This makes it considerably easier and less expensive for the shooter to zero out his weapon. All I did was ask this question.

Look, it doesn't take much to know more than me when discussing almost anything. However, I usually take a more common-sense approach to things and don't make a calculus problem out of simple addition.

I have a Remington 700 PSS with a Premier Reticles 3x15 on it and it took me less than 5 rounds to zero it out to 100 yards. This Premier 5x25 is going on either my Sako 338 Lapua magnum or my Barret 50 cal and at $5-10 a round I'm not going to spend any more than I need to. I also plan on zeroing it out at 1000 yards. All I have to do now is recompute it to shoot the 338 or 50. If I do as you suggest I would spend at least $500 than I have to to zero it out.

If you have the money to put a $3100 scope on a gun then good for you. You obviously worked hard to earn it. However, let's assume it cost you $10 (the high end of your estimate) to pull the trigger each time. #1. You can afford to pay $3100 for a scope but can't afford to pull the trigger? wow. #2. If you did it the way Green 788 and I do it would cost you $500 more than the way you do it? You were a sniper instructor? Something doesn't add up here. $500 more would equal 50 rounds!!!!! The first time I mounted my own scope it only took me 10 rounds to get dialed in at 200 yards and that was because I borescoped wrong. The other rifles I have mounted scopes on it takes maybe 5-7 rounds total to get zeroed at 200. Why in the world would it take you a minimum of 50 rounds? I'll ask again...you were a sniper instructor? If you truly were then I thank you for your service to our country and fighting to keep our freedom.

This would definitely happen if I took your advice

Jim
Col, USAFR retired, 30 years
PhD Bio-Chemistry
MS Electrical & Aeronautical Engineering[/QUOTE]

All I have is a BS in psychology. You win.

You were a sniper instructor?

Now this is funny, I must be an idiot? All this time I've been benching the rifle and looking down the bore, put one on paper and dial to the shot. Two shots and done, after load choice or development a quick tweak.
Nice of PR to rough it in for you but not necessary for most.

I asked a simple question and because my technique is different I am basically laughed at and ridiculed. My technique is different than yours but mine works for me. Yours works for you.

Sorry I even asked a question. I thought that this was a civalized forum!! For the most part I think it is but for some it isn't.

Jim

Last edited:
Jim,

For my part I wasn't trying to be rude, I was simply trying to keep the body of information here as useful and factual as possible. I run a small forum myself, and it's always good to clarify and make sure that people understand what is being said.

Here is something that's gonna sound incredible to many, but it's nonetheless true:

Military and police snipers typically know just enough about their weapons to get the job done. This is by design, really. Consider a professional race car driver. His part of the equation is how to drive the car, and hopefully win the race. He typically knows far less about the engine and suspension, etc., than his mechanics do.

It is the same with the LE and military snipers. They actually do not know that much about what's going on inside a scope, or even how to properly mount a scope (the weapon systems are designed to work in one way, and one way only... the armory personnel will know far more about these weapons than the snipers).

What you have at this forum is a lot of guys who really do know what they're talking about. We know about scopes... how they work, how to mount them properly, and how to sight them in. We know the limitations of given systems, and how to get the most from these systems. Take a look at the Snipershide website and others like it... and you will see that many of the employed and enlisted snipers will come there asking basic questions, this to help them put together their hunting rifle correctly. The military didn't show them how to do that, nor did the military ever intend to bring them up to speed on how to put the whole system together. They pay other personnel to learn those things... different MO's entirely. You know how that works, being an officer for so many years... specialization, the way of our armed forces.

By the way, I appreciate your service to our country, and am glad to make your acquaintance. I was USAF myself, enlisted...

Okay.. back on topic... though it's gonna make some laugh, here's the truth: Many of the members of this forum know more about optics systems and how to properly mount and zero them than the average military (or LE) sniper does. We literally, honestly know more about it.

Now... it's your turn to laugh if you must, but facts are facts. :) I don't want to see anyone go the long way about doing something that is basically a very simple task.

Everyone just relax, you could be sick or dying.

I shoot mine and love it and it did come adjusted for a 20 minute base.

I think I am missing something here. Zero turrets dead center, shoot one, dial to hole, confirm. Three shots.......l Never use a bore sighter. Rarely and I mean rarely does it take more than 3. Could it be we are just misunderstanding?

I asked a simple question and because my technique is different I am basically laughed at and ridiculed. My technique is different than yours but mine works for me. Yours works for you.

Sorry I even asked a question. I thought that this was a civalized forum!! For the most part I think it is but for some it isn't.

Jim

I am tempted to call a gremlin in our midst but will engage in case this story is all really true in which you need some help getting things figured out.

Despite what you think, you are getting some good info here. You may be feeling some push back because the story you are telling is sending most guys with scope experience reeling in an attempt to make sense of it.

Unfortunately you got some bad info from your military buddy or you misunderstood what he was trying to tell you. If your system has worked for you in the past consider yourself lucky as it has been complete luck that it has saved you any amount of shots or got you on paper.

Whether they zero the scope at 100 yards or not really isn't the issue or important. Unless you happen to have the same receiver, base, rings, and barrel or ones that are spec'd out exactly as the one Premier uses (which is impossible) the 100 yard zero is useless to you and YOUR gun, mounts, and rings. In addition it is so easy to get sighted in with their XR reticle it should only take a couple shots once you are on paper so I find no real value in this sight in even if somehow you could get around all the issues mentioned above.

What is more valuable is sending you a scope with centered turrets so you knew you had equal movement in all directions. Then you know you are optically centered which means you are ensuring the best turret and optical performance. Are you sure this isn't what they were trying to explain to you?

If you aren't shooting one of the larger magnum calibers I would suggest using Burris Signature rings. The posi-inserts allow you to mount your scope almost exactly where you want it without touching the turrets. Then the turrets can be used for fine tuning and dialing in for your shots. You can even use the Signature rings as you would a 20 MOA base if you are really going to push the distance. Plus the rings eliminate any ring marks or damage to a very nice scope.

Hope This Helps,

Scot E.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.