Prelim pics of a new cartridge and test rifle

Hey Ernie! how is it out there in sunny Wyo? I still havent had any time to mess with building pistol actions, the rifle stuff has me all bogged down. Maybe this winter i will get to a 6.5cal of some kind to mess with.

Dave

BD,

Just for curiousity sake, what will those cases cost each for a formed case?

I looked into something similiar to this several months ago. My design was on a beefed up chey tac case but it was modified to produce around 15-18 grains more usible powder capacity over my AM design.

Cost was the only reason why I did not run with it at that time but it may still happen. I asked several of my customers if they would spend $7-$8 per case and of the 100 or so customers I asked, 90% said NO WAY, not when they could get the 338 AM and 375 AM formed cases for $3.5 each.

I then asked if they would pay $5 per case and around 50% said no.

Now, I could get the design down to $5 each after the inital tooling cost was paid for but I would have to place a 20,000 case order. I sell my cases at cost so that would come to around $100,000. Just do not have that cash laying around.

Anyway, that is why my 160 gr powder capacity 375, 408 and 458 have not happened yet but they may still. Just curious how much you have to give for your new cases?

Ive had some requests for more pictures of the case and action.

Here is the 416VM with a 408Cheytac case
416vm-408cheytac.JPG

The VM case will hold 172gns of H-BMG50 or 168grns of Retumbo.

Action pics:
blackdiamond_3.JPG

blackdiamond_1.JPG

Action specs:
1.625" dia x 10.5" long
.800 bolt dia
Extra long locking lugs
Sako type extractor
Plunger ejector
Trigger hanger system
Single shot or repeater
4340 Chrome-Moly
Black KG GunKote finish
Titanium firing pin

That is some nice hardware Dave.

I always have to laugh when someone, either builder or buyer is concerned about the cost of the brass.
Suck it up boys, you're out of the Sportsman class and into the Fuelers..

Hey Ernie! how is it out there in sunny Wyo? I still havent had any time to mess with building pistol actions, the rifle stuff has me all bogged down. Maybe this winter i will get to a 6.5cal of some kind to mess with. Dave

Dave,
We are enjoying it out here!
No problem on the handguns, the interest level is likely higher with the rifles.
Sometime this winter sounds good to me.

Here is a question I posed earlier, and when you have time I would be interested in your response:
"Is there something that can beat my 7mm Dakota XP-100 with the 200 WC's (since these may not be available for some time then consider the 175-180 grain class VLD's) for distance shooting/steel (drop/wind) and do a better job on game (including elk) than it is capable of doing out of a 18" tube?
Or what would you build for 1K or 1K+ elk rig in a 18" or shorter barrel?

I don't care if it has more drop than the 7 Dakota.
But I would want wind to be equal or better and for sure I want frontal area to be better.
And this specialty pistol would also have a rifle scope on it as well."

Wow, that's a great looking action. It looks like a BAT action. Nice work. How much will one of those costs and are you making them for smaller cartridges like a regular 338 Lapua Mag?

I had some time this weekend to mess with my personal projects so i figured i should
get back at the 416 VM project rifle.

I decided on using a hand rubbed oil finish on Joels stock, i like the look of a soft finish.
It will need more coats as time goes by but for now i wanted to get it ready for testing
when the dies arrive.

The metal was finished in matte black KG Gunkote, baked on finish. The ABS carbon wrapped barrel was done in semi gloss Poly finish.

I built up a large dia (1.750") titanium muzzle brake with tall vents, might be needed
when full load testing starts.

It has a 40MOA rail scope base with a 5.5-22x56 NF scope.

Under stock has a 6" long picatinny assesory rail attached for the Bi-Pod.

The bolt will be spiral fluted at a later date.

couple pics

Wolf_2x.JPG

Wolf_1x.JPG

More info will come when testing starts.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.