New Allen Magnum and APS rifle design finally ready to test....

Screech,

It simply allow the barrel itself to support its own weight as well as the receiver and scope instead of the receiver supporting all the weight.

Of all the componants, the barrel is the stiffest and most rigid of them all so this is why it is used to support all the weight.

The V-Block also offers alot of support and stability to the barrel producing a rifle system that has the stiffness of a very short, very heavy barreled rifle but in a long barreled rifle with extreme ballistic performance capabilities.

Kirby Allen(50)

Lerch,

I hear from a pretty good source that the 270 bullets are soon to come up on the Wildcat work schedule. Only thing slower then a Canadian bullet smith is a Montanian gunsmith /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Well that answered a lot of my questions and I guess I am glad the Mesika M came with the recoil lug. I had thought it was a mistake on my part.

In the picture of the stock where it is upside down, there is a third hole at an angle that is a few inches back from the barrel block holes. What is it for?

Very nice project but I still like the 7mm.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Jim

Roy:

Should I.........Shouldn't I.............
Eye05a.gif
Eye05a.gif

Nope.....I just want to get through a whole summer, fall and hunting season without worrying about a new gun and when it's gonna be done. I think the old 7mm AM will do me for now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think I'll let Richard do all of the leg work and testing and then we'll see how bad the "wants" get. Hmmmmm.....maybe in Kirby's new 338 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lerch:

Slow is a relative term so don't let him fool ya. Just don't be standing in the way if either of them hears about a big whitetail or a big wolf or you'll likely hear a couple of sonic booms as they go by. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All kidding aside, if you stop and think about what those two guys provide and the time frame in which they do it, you won't match them anywhere.

Theres pretty much only 1 word I can use to describe what I'm thinking. WOW!! Freaking awesome. I wish I had the money to dump into any AM. Just when you come out with something so superior, you find yet another way to beat it. Simply amazing. Those numbers are very very very good for .27 cal. Jeez. I would imagine that it would get to 2000 yards, but should easily be a 1500 yard deer wacker in good conditions, seems to me. Do you think it would be just as good as your 7 AM with the 200g for LR elk/bears??

P.S. My dad is wanting a muzzle brake installed on his 300 RUM, and I have recomended you to do it. I was originally thinking vais, but since they have holes all the way around, I'm worried about the dust and little rocks/sand that can kick up. I know you like Hollands, what would you do?

Buffalobob,

I believe what your looking at is the front receiver screw hole for the conventional receiver screw.

This is filled with a dummy screw to give a finished professional look to the finished rifle. The trigger guard is also attached with dummy screws as well. Looks like a conventionally bedded rifle as far as that is concerned except that those action screws are just dummies!!

You will also notice a small hole just to the left of the forward V-Block port. This is for the rear swivel stud which after V-Block is in place and cured, I drilled and tapped into the V-Block itself to increase the strength of this stud which will be the one supporting all the weight from the sling.

I should have taken some pictures of the bottom of the stock when it was finished to show you what the finished bottom looks like.

The V-Block ports are also lined with custom stainless steel bushings which really makes them look sharp instead of just a hole milled into the bottom of the stock.

Kirby Allen(50)

REm

I have used muzzle breaks with ports all the way around them and I have used the hollands from kirby

I will use hollands now

I have used a all the way around muzzle break on a 300rum for shooting pdogs and after 4 shots I had a 1 foot deep hole in the ground with its previous contents in my hair and on my back.

GIve the hollands a whirl, you wont be dissapointed.

good luck
steve

Lerch

Thanks for the response. Yah I had a muzzle brake on my old 25-06, and it was a type like holland. It came from score-hi gunsmithing out of New Mexico. It was very effective. Brought the kick down to .223 level so I could see me own shots. The noise was a little higher then I like, but oh well. Live and learn. I personally dont want a muzzle brake on anymore of my rifles. I dont need one on a 300 RUM, and I dont plan on getting anything bigger. I will let my dad know about those 4 shots and having a 1ft hole. It doesn't surprise me. The blast from my 25-06 was pretty good, let alone something burning 2x more powder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Just curious to see if you've been shooting any of those 125g wildcats out of your 25-06 at 1000 or 1500 yards?? Im curious to see what the estimated BC will be, as well as the accuracy. Thanks.

The last 2 times i went shooting out to 1500yds I have brought my 25-06 and the 125gr's and each time I forget to shoot it. I will shoot it out ot 1k real soon and that should give us a good idea of the bc, 1500 should be even better.

I know at 500yds those suckers pack a hell of a wallop on rocks. BIG IMPACT SOUND

take it easy
steve

Your probly having to much fun with your 270 AM to worry about your 25-06. I know I would! I shot mine out to 525 yards on targets and rocks. They do seem to hit them rocks and leave a louder whop then say a 100g or 115g Btip, thats for sure. Seems like it should be coming from a little bigger gun with a little more horsepower. I would think the 125g would be a deer killer out to 700 yards out of the 25-06's. With my velocity and conditions up here in Oregon, at 525 yards anyways, my clicks were on with the BC at .515. Still a lot higher BC then any other .257" hunting bullet out there. I did shoot a yote at 600, so I know they work for that. I didn't get a chance to shoot farther then 600 with them simply because I ran out of bullets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm still interested in the BC you come up with when you shoot 1000 and 1500. Keep me posted.

50, i'm kickin around a hunting gun with a block in it but it serves a couple more functions than yours.basically i don't like the 1/4" screws in the barrel. i know it's supposedly alright but it just doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy!

This question may make no sense whatsoever but reading in an earlier topic about bolt clearance or crush fit bolt face to barrel clearance it was stated that this was detrimental to accuracy. Since with the v-block the action is not supporting the weight of the barrel does this change how you would set up bolt face to barrel clearance?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.