Preferred Brass - Win Mags?

Kobra

I have pretty well got my stockpile of components where I want it but my .300 & .264 Win Mags need some brass. For both I have been using Winchester brass with a little Remmy thrown in. In looking at Midway I see several ?? about Winchester quality these days - is that the case with anyone on here too. My default as always been Lapua, Norma, Winchester, and Remmy on selecting brass for rifles. The current selection vs responses makes me thing I should look at Nosler or Norma brass.

For me, I tend to run both of these near max or max and I like to get 4 - 5 loads/brass.

What's everyone's opinion?

RWS brass in .300wm is about as good as it gets. It's tough as nails but is slightly lower capacity. I have some left over from a large purchase I made if your interested. I have them listed in the classifieds.

I have pretty well got my stockpile of components where I want it but my .300 & .264 Win Mags need some brass. For both I have been using Winchester brass with a little Remmy thrown in. In looking at Midway I see several ?? about Winchester quality these days - is that the case with anyone on here too. My default as always been Lapua, Norma, Winchester, and Remmy on selecting brass for rifles. The current selection vs responses makes me thing I should look at Nosler or Norma brass.

For me, I tend to run both of these near max or max and I like to get 4 - 5 loads/brass.

I have loaded Winchester brass for nearly 15 years exclusively and I too ran on the upper load limits and once I got my annealing down on the necks had no more issues and by purchasing the sizer for belted cases from Inovative Technologies I am up to 7 loadings on the .264 and only 4 so far on my 300 Winny. The only issue I had prior was hardening of the necks and maybe 2 of them split on the 4th firing before I began the annealing regime.

RP, WW, have close to the same case capacity and I have found good accuracy but these cases need more brass prep. Make sure you debur the flash hole inside if used.

Graf made some very good brass but hard to find.

RWS is very good and only needed the usual prep. But expect it to form out to the chamber quite a bit on the first firing. I haven't noticed this causing a need to redo load work up but it does form out increasing case capacity a bit. Running RWS I have found the need to reduce max charge by 3 gr with heavy bullets over the larger capacity cases. But the rise in pressure from the lower case volume does not loose that much velocity.

I use Lapua for my own rifles. Very hard to find but I have a stash (not for sale) :)
The Lapua is the most consistent cases and requires less prep. It also has the upper end of case capacity and has proven to get best velocity with heavy bullets for me. I have yet to wear any out as I use bushing dies to reduce brass overworking during sizing and I anneal too.

Jeff

I recently bought 100 Winchester cases in 7mag. About 30 of them split at the neck during load development on the first firing. I won't buy them again. I have had the best luck with Remington. People claim it is soft but I haven't had any issues with it in my 300wm.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.