Predator calling

Calling is the juice for me, anything that I can make come to me (via a hand call, not a machine that's doing the work) is what really makes me perk!

I've been calling since the mid 70's, in that time I've called in moose, elk, deer, lopes, bears (over 60), bobcats, wolves (2 packs), fox, yotes, magpies and probably some I'm not thinking about.

Twice I had bobcats come in from down wind, same with bears. All 4 times I got this feeling I was being watched and when I turned around to see what was what they were sitting pretty darn close watching me (10 yds or less).

I rather imagine I've called in a mtn lion or two or three but I've yet to see them. I'm sure they've been there but I've just not seen them.

Done a lot of calling also.Bugling I have had wolfs come near.I have also bugled hard and once had a bear ball out as if ****ed.This was in a box canyon where you could really ring it.Another I believe was a cat scream out, that one still unsure.Called bears,moose.Deer hunting ratlin, had cats show ups has my son.Cow called cats in too.Ive had a sparrow hawk and 2 great horned owls swoop me while still hunting's I believe it was the feather I had in my cowboy hat. One time calling for elk.I had multiple grizzly in area, maybe a kill?The one I cow called to point blank, then it winded me, ultimately a bear fight broke out and I backed out the few miles as it was getting dark.That will raise the hair on ya. I had left 3 bulls bugling there a few days prior

I've had rabbits, owls, hawks, ravens, lost hound dogs, squirrels, hummingbirds, deer, and people come into the call. I'm sure I'm missing a few. As far as target animals. Coyote, fox, bobcat, javelina, bear and finally the First big cat ( that I've seen). Was this last Sunday.

Attachments

• 20240107_081729.jpg
    20240107_081729.jpg
    570.2 KB · Views: 95
I've had rabbits, owls, hawks, ravens, lost hound dogs, squirrels, hummingbirds, deer, and people come into the call. I'm sure I'm missing a few. As far as target animals. Coyote, fox, bobcat, javelina, bear and finally the First big cat ( that I've seen). Was this last Sunday.
WOW is it legal to shoot lions where you live?
Jill wants to get one so bad.
Thanks for sharing
Len & Jill

There are several states where you can hunt lions. Find out the contact information to the states fish and game departments that you would be interested in hunting them in and ask them for out of state hunting regulations. In Wyoming lions are considered a trophy animal. There are several people that guide hunts for them, be ready for a long day and a lot of foot time in some fairly rough country. I have seen them take leaps of 15-20 feet at times. I was up on the mountain in a new 6" snow and saw some antelope bunched up being all kinds of alert. When I got to looking there was a lion crouched down watching them. As I disturbed its hunt it took off making long bounds then went into a canyon around half a mile away. Like other cats they move slowly most of the time and I believe that several times callers call them but just don't see them, or they might not stay on stand long enough for them to come to where they could be seen, where did that tan rock come from type of thing. High volume is not your friend when calling cats, with an e-caller mid to low volume with hand calls wearing the brown jersey cloth gloves mutes the sound. Again, they will circle around behind you, often only finding tracks left in snow or dusty ground telling the caller that they were being watched. Study the cats in your neighborhood when their people let them run, they act much the same as bobcats and lions do. Try calling a few of them to see what works on them and take lessons from that to the field with you. I have practiced my calling in all types of settings not only out in the field trying to call the target animal, but just targeting an animal to see how it would react, so I could learn from it.

I moved to Carlsbad, New Mexico in 2002. A guy at work invited me to go coyote hunting with him and said he would lend me a 22-250 and shooting sticks and he would use an AR and bipod. This would be my first predator hunt.
We set out before dawn, driving south on the highway that followed the course of the Pecos River till we got near the NM-TX border. We made our first stand on a low hill with a view of the mesquite scrub desert out to about 150 yards.
It was misty at dawn and he started blowing a call. After only minutes, three coyotes came running in hard and closed to 25 yards. He dropped one in its tracks, and then as the other two turned tail and disappeared in the scrub, he jumped up and shooting off-hand, dropped a second one. I sat there stunned. I had not even acquired one in my scope.

Called in a racoon one time that came in from behind, jumped on my back and bit me. The little sucker brought blood. The kicker is my buddy watched the entire event from forty yards away with a video camera, but he was so caught up in the moment he forgot to record it. We missed an opportunity that day lol. I heard him coming, but I really thought it was something smaller, so I didn't even turn around until his final few running steps and all I saw was him jumping my way and then he latched on, crazy day.

Recent Posts