Precision AK 6.5 Grendal

TomBruto

Hey guys, I have been thinking about building a precision AK 47 in 6.5 grendal and was wondering if anybody had any experience with something similar. Not sure if this is the best place to post this, so please direct me elsewhere if not. Nor am I sure if my desired effective range (1 MOA @ 600 yds) fits in the longrange hunting category. This idea is more of an excercise to see it is achievable. It will most likely require some fabrication of a new gasblock and front sight block if i go with a heavy barrel option, which i most likely will, rather than a tensioned lighter weight barrel, which will require its own special parts to be fabricated. My though is that starting with a quality barrel and elimitanting or compensating for the moment the piston puts on the barrel when fired would greatly improve the harmonics resulting in greater accuracy. Along with quality reloads and a more rigid reciever, (most likely milled but may go with a 1.5-2 mm stamped RPK reciever), it should be pretty good to go. I am still on the fence about how to mount the scope. I am thinking of a clamp on or press on rear sight block replacement with an extended picatiny rail, but may go with a more traditional approach. I know there will be people chiming in saying this is stupid and not to waste my time on an ak, but i have seen enough promising results with some minimal modifications and load development that leads me to believe that people who say that dont have any real experience with the platform. Anyways, if anyone has anyone has delt with any accurizing of ak's, I would love to hear what you have to say.

precision and AK are not things i usually say in the same sentence. but anything is achievable with a mill, lathe, files, drill bits and money. you'd definitely have to go with a milled receiver. find a quality barrel manufacturer. i dont think you necessarily have to go with a super heavy barrel as long as it is from a quality manufacturer. a nice trigger will also help. i have shot tons of AK's but do not own one. we will need pics of this build if it is undertaken of course. good luck

Sounds like quite the challenge!

It would be a heck of a lot easier in an AR platform, but I'm guessing you know that.

Are there guys out there getting 1moa at 600 yards out of AKs in any chambering? Is the mounting of a scope on an AK solid enough for that?

Sounds like quite the challenge!

It would be a heck of a lot easier in an AR platform, but I'm guessing you know that.

Are there guys out there getting 1moa at 600 yards out of AKs in any chambering? Is the mounting of a scope on an AK solid enough for that?
Evocatus_strategic have been making 6.5 grendal ak's and have posted videos of them plinking at 1000 using standard ak contour 16" barrels. I dont know that they are 1 moa, but also not sure if they were using wolf bulk ammo or something better. They seem to be pretty decent, but i think i could squeze a little more out of them with a more rigid consturction. They also make 6.5 creedmoor galils and 6mm arc AK's, but alot of their stuff is in the SBR form. I am thinking of using an 18" barrel. And you are 100% correct that an AR would be much easier, but the path to greatness is not always the easier one hahaha. I do have alot of flex in the traditional side rail mount on my AK's when mounting a scope, but they are all 1mm stamped recievers. That being said, i am still able to match the accuracy i get from bolt actions with the same ammo. which for Tula is 2.5-3 moa, so maybe the flex isnt as big of a deal as i imagine it would be. I stumbled on a thread somewhere a while back where a guy was getting .25 moa out of some of his ak's but they were verry heavy 223 barrels and the scope was directly mounted to the barrel. But i had to sift through a bunch of people saying it was ipossible before he chimed in. And he had pics to back up his claims. Once he did, the thread ended, I guess no one wanted to agrue with him. But they were bulky and heavy target rifles. I would like to end up with something a little more usable.

precision and AK are not things i usually say in the same sentence. but anything is achievable with a mill, lathe, files, drill bits and money. you'd definitely have to go with a milled receiver. find a quality barrel manufacturer. i dont think you necessarily have to go with a super heavy barrel as long as it is from a quality manufacturer. a nice trigger will also help. i have shot tons of AK's but do not own one. we will need pics of this build if it is undertaken of course. good luck
Precision may have been a poor word choice, perhaps i should have said "Relative Precision AK". I have a brux that i may end up swapping out on my 6.5-284 that i am thinking of using. The easier choice would be Milled, TortTort make some quality ones. I like the sharps bro's recievers but really dont like the angle they put on their integral stock adapter. They shot me down when i asked if they would consider making one concentric and parallel to the bore axis. Oh well I still like them, but probably wont ever get around to using one for that reason.