JGS Precision Reamers

700 dollars for a Pac-nor barrel??? And 6 months wait??? I quess im just impatient, I NEVER wait for barrels. I buy them from Bullets.com,Bugholes,Sinclair, Brownells,Brunos and Butches Reloading. You can get in stock popular barrel blanks without a wait. I shot 5r barrels. I have had Hart and Shilen, but am not a button-rifle guy. Cost doesnt really bother me, Im more of a time guy. So i give 365 for a blank and 250 for gunsmithing , My custom actions are already trued. I may give Manson a try one day. I build or rebarrel about 6 guns a year. This year Im coming up on about 8000 th rounds down range. I love to shoot! dont beleive me as my EXs!:D

365 for a blank and 250 for gunsmithing. $615 for your barrel installed vs. $700 for a Pac-Nor installed. Not much difference.

BTW: I recommend you find another montra, the "I don't care about the money" thing is getting over used. It's starting to sound more like "I'm richer than you are so I know better" but I'm sure it's not what you mean.

jfseamen, I did not mean to offend you or anyone else! The" I dont care about the money" thing was MEANT as oppososed of time. I am buy no means wealth or rich. I only mean that I am impatient when it comes to waiting! I am sorry if ANYONE thought i ment to sound like" I am richer or better than anyone". I am very Impatient, I can honestly say I could not wait 6 months for a barrel. I am lucky to have a good friend I grew up with, that shoots on my ranges AND is a excellent gunsmith. He is the type of friend that allows me to bring in stuff for him to work on right then. Some folks might get MAD for a gunsmith to stop work on a gun and give a friend work on the spot, I hope no one is offened buy that either! I just love shooting. Again sorry if I offended anyone.:D

In My Opinion, The barrel is the most Important component in the pursuit of accuracy.

The best gunsmith in the world cant make a poor barrel shoot one hole groups and the best action
cant fix it ether.

The barrel quality needs to be there before the chamber is cut. then the best reamer to do the chamber will need to be used to get the true potential of the barrel. now comes the Gun smiths
part in the accuracy.

He must do everything as near perfect as possible to utilize all of these good components.

The action trueness is more important than the brand/type used and if installed correctly can also enhance the rifles accuracy.

After all of the metal work is done, next comes the action/barrel fit to the stock. In My Opinion, good Bedding is another part of an accurate build and cannot be left out.

An accurate rifle requires all of these components be at there best with no exceptions. the quality of all tools and components cannot be over stress and if one tool (Like the reamer) is poor, or at any stage the workmanship is poor the outcome will also be less than the best.

The barrel is the heart of an accurate rifle and you have to start there. As a Sage gunsmith on this site says (It is hard to make a silk purse out of a sows ear).so what one does to it has a profound
effect on the outcome.

Bottom line A good Reamer is a must just like all of the other elements and one bad apple can spoil
the hole project.

Just My Opinion For what it's worth.

J E CUSTOM

I am going with a 32 inch Broughton cylinder bore 264 with 1-8 twist. I trade a friend a 284 Bartlein barrel for it. I have never had a Broughton before. I have a Stiller Tac 300 Long action with .473 bolt face. I have a Mcree stock. I like Mcrees and Accuracy International because the barrels are freefloated, and I dont have to bedd them. I am but NO MEANS a gunsmith, but I try to do every thing I can to keep costs down. Example= I always take my friend the gunsmith, only the barreled action. The rest I try to do myself. I enjoy doing my on work. I would love to be a gunsmith. I have spent lots of time in my friends shop learning and assisting where i can. I ask about the reamer because JGS is new to me. I ordered from PTG for years. My gunsmith has built me countless 1/4 moa guns, so i feel like he does a good job. I appreciate any and all advice I get from you guys. I hope this will be a great F-class gun. I have a 284 shehane that I am shooting. But to be honest (and this may make me sound like a wuss) 60 rounds In a local match is beating me up to bad. I have rotator cup shoulder problems and 2 fused disks in my back so i am hoping a heavy barrel and a 6.5x284 will let me shoot in more comfort.

Thanks for the additional data. No offense.

I understand and am quite willing to "buy time" as a practical measure.

jfseamen, I did not mean to offend you or anyone else! The" I dont care about the money" thing was MEANT as oppososed of time. I am buy no means wealth or rich. I only mean that I am impatient when it comes to waiting! I am sorry if ANYONE thought i ment to sound like" I am richer or better than anyone". I am very Impatient, I can honestly say I could not wait 6 months for a barrel. I am lucky to have a good friend I grew up with, that shoots on my ranges AND is a excellent gunsmith. He is the type of friend that allows me to bring in stuff for him to work on right then. Some folks might get MAD for a gunsmith to stop work on a gun and give a friend work on the spot, I hope no one is offened buy that either! I just love shooting. Again sorry if I offended anyone.:D

Well back to the subject.

I know my smith uses a mixed collection of reamers makers but I remember him saying my final head spacing for the WSM and 260 were JGS rather than PTG.

My 300 WSM is well sub MOA on JGS finish reamer into a Pac-Nor prefit.
My 260 REM has shot an 8x in a 2x20@1000 at a very wind driven match, same.
My just completed but not tuned 338 Edge went sub MOA on shots 4,5 and 6 with a PTG into a Benchmark barrel. I thought I had a thead on this but I'll get pictures today.

Next chamber, going to smith next week, is a custom 300 Wby I want opened to 300 RUM. That reamer, owned by the smith is older so not subject to the quality issues of recent times.

but then

The latest chambering, the 338/26 Nosler. With a very recent PTG reamer. So we will see how it goes. I have a resize reamer to match.

Sounds good. I am glad to here JGS Precision is a good reamer. My gunsmith said the first 1 he bought was very good. My friend started in high school as a machinest . He did machinist ,I chose brick mansory at vocational school. We are both 41 years old. I not doubting his word about the JGS reamer, I just wanted more feed back from some of you guys that have used them, I think the reamer I ordered will be fine. I also have a 260. My daughter has claimed it as her gun. It has a Bartlein 1-8 twist #11 Medium Palma. I like the 6.5s. Next build for me will be 6.5x47. I have even thought 6.5x55 swede on a rem 700 action. Since i have a rem 700 long action in the safe I may go either way. Sometimes I cant make -up my own mind!:D

Don't ruin a barrel over a reamer, measure it up to check shoulder, base and neck diameter then punch it into the extra muzzle length of the barrel till the body starts and you can seat a bullet and check that your throat is what your looking for. Made the mistake once with PTG and just chambered up a barrel, fortunately it was a mistake on body taper so after getting the correct reamer the chamber just needed a slight opening up.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.