JGS floating reamer holder

Danny1788

Is anyone using the JGS floating reamer holder. I just bought one, it seems very tight with not a lot of "float" or alignment to it. Does it loosen some how? Am I missing how to loosen and tighten it up like the PTG floating reamer holder?

I haven't attempted to chamber a barrel with it yet. But just looking for someone that has used it before to give me some hands on advice. Thanks

Yes I used it on three chamber jobs so far with excellent results. Had my barrels dialed in as best I could at .0002" runout .0004" TIR.

First barrel was a 6.5-06 with a solid pilot, running my lathe at 120rpm, I didn't pre bore the chamber but I do use a barrel flush system pumping heavy dark cutting fluid and automatic transmission fluid mix, I went pretty slow took me about 45min to chamber the barrel. When I was done and set headspace. I ran some 320grit Emory clothe wrapped around a bic pen and soaked in oil to make the cross hatches in the chamber/polish...... Runout was .0001" very happy with it.

Next two barrels were cut with a live pilot reamer in 6.5saum (way more oil flow through the barrel/reamer with a live pilot) I was running my lathe at 280rpm now, didn't pre bore again. Cut the chambers in about 20min start to finish. Polished the chambers the same way one barrel was .0001" runout the other was Zero! Very very happy with how they turned out.

My flush system

My chamber

Reamer pic

Videos of reaming with flush system

You have to click on them to show the videos

I use a very similar setup. Have been using a JGS floating reamer holder for over 12 years. It will loosen up over time. A word of caution it has about 30 bearings inside it, don't take it apart. If you take it apart do it in a bucket. Then plan on sending it back to JGS for remanufacturing. It has a life time warrantee. I own two of them. They do need to be cleaned out from time to time. Flush them out in a parts washer.
Nat Lambeth

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.