Precise mounting of a rile scope question

RocketDog

I started with a torpedo level on my turret, I then aligned the anti-cant level with the torpedo level on the scope. I took a bubble level and put it on the rifle rail and made sure they were all level. I can't think of any reasons why my scope and rifle are not perfectly level with each other. Am I over looking anything?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 112
RD, if you are using the bubble levels, start with leveling the action. Then the scope can be leveled. There are some good how to do it articles here with various ways to level, just use the custom search, top right. Good luck

Yea Dosh is right. Start with the action. Also verify by looking thru the scope at a plumbob. The scope hairs should align perfectly with the plumbob and your bubbles when done.

Just two things to add .... if you're using a rail, be sure you bed it so you avoid any minor tweaking when tightening it down. And when you tighten the mounting screws for the rail/rings/etc. be sure to tighten them alternately so they are evenly torqued. It can be a real headache trying to keep everything level while you're tightening screws.
But as long at your action is level and your vertical cross hair matches up with a plumb line (very close if reall good enough. You don't need a theodolite to get the job done) you'll come out fine.

I am not sure if this matters or not, but there are bubble levels, and then there are precision levels. Last year my son in law gave me an electronic level that reads out (and actually appears to really be) just crazy precision levels. It is a 48 inch Stabila Tech.

It is enough better that I re-hung my flat screen TV and some other items and they really look one heck of a lot better.

I even let him borrow it once in a while.

To throw in another curve, how do we really know that the reticle is in perfect alignment with the adjustments if the scope? I've often wondered about that, especially with lower end scopes (which yours is obviously not). The only way to verify that would be to shoot at a plumb line at 100 yards and track the scope up 15 or 20 inches and see if it is still hitting right on the line.

To throw in another curve, how do we really know that the reticle is in perfect alignment with the adjustments if the scope? I've often wondered about that, especially with lower end scopes (which yours is obviously not). The only way to verify that would be to shoot at a plumb line at 100 yards and track the scope up 15 or 20 inches and see if it is still hitting right on the line.

Tall target test. And it can be done better with a laser (either bore mount or rail mount) to verify true vertical. If you mark the target you are using to reference like a barber pole, then you can also verify the actual amount of erector movement to turret movement. You would be surprised how far off some scopes are. I just checked a NXS MOA and it was .253. Not much difference at 100 but substantial at 1000 and beyond. That would amount to .12" difference at only 10 moa, or .24" at 20moa.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.