scope mounting question to pro and semi-pro gunsmiths.

sportmuaythai

About 20 years ago, those who cared had their gunsmiths mount scope for them. Is this still true today, or have bases and rings been improved with tighter tolerance that things like ring lapping and alignment have become things of the past? Would today gunsmiths reccommend that their customers can mount the scope successfully by themselves?

Thanks Chad, for taking the time to reply to my thread. I 've a feeling that your "may be " is purposely toned down. So I assume that it still isn't unexpected to have misaligned scope rings if they are just slapped together. I just went over the thread above Why are custom rifles so Pricey?? and found responses by smiths to be polite and well thought out. Heck, I can't even adjust valve clearance and timing gap with feeler guage despite being shown by my motor mechanic. Yet I could race gokart successfully. I admire home smiths for their ability to improve on their rifles, and respect good smiths for their professional builds, but don't think much of parts changers. I'll follow advice on the other thread that I should try to make more money my way to pay good smith to make my gun better. And if I can't make more, then I should save more, some how.

lol I kinda started a fire storm with that thread. I guess when you ask what you feel is a simple question with a simple answer, that isn't always the case. your question is right along the same lines as mine. One thing I have learned from my thread is it all boils down to what you are comfortable attempting and what results you are expecting.

lol I kinda started a fire storm with that thread. I guess when you ask what you feel is a simple question with a simple answer, that isn't always the case. your question is right along the same lines as mine. One thing I have learned from my thread is it all boils down to what you are comfortable attempting and what results you are expecting.
I feel that your thread was very good if taken with understanding. Much was learned.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.