Scope mounting for a 303 Brit

Inukshuk

Inukjuak, Canadian Eastern Arctic 59 parallel
I mentioned in another thread a near future project and now I'd like to know what would be the best way to mount a scope to a 303 Brit.

Claudes_Rifle.jpg

Last edited:
I'm guessing the no response is because the top of the receiver has been cleaned up (or it's a #3) and the no-gunsmithing mounts ( S&K instamount and another one that slips my mind) probably won't work. That being the case, you will need to custom fabricate a mount system, and that requires some precise measurements and mill and drill work. Can be done, but whoever does it will have to have the rifle in hand. The bolt handle may clear a scope without forging it.

If it's a #4, you might look at a mount for a flat side gun such as a Winchester lever action. It might only require drilling and tapping the left side of the Enfield to make it work. Probably won't center over the bore, but that only gets tricky because of bore and line of sight convergence and divergence. Worth looking at.

Good luck, Tom

Last edited:
More info: In Brownells catalog #60, pages 362 and 371, are 3 different scope mounting systems by XS, CadTechnik, and Williams, specfically for Enfields. One of them should work for you. The CadTechnik doesn't require any gunsmithing if you have a No.4 Enfield receiver. If it's a #3, the XS, Williams, or a S&K mount on page 372 might work.

Hope this helps, Tom

on edit; the one that slipped my mind is B Square.

Last edited:
I checked out the link. It's the one listed as CadTechnik in their catalog, and the one used by Bounty Hunter. Sounds like it will do the job.

Good luck; Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.