Pre 64 Winchester

ajkellerusmc

My Son picked this Rifle up from a private sale. It is a pre 64 Winchester in .270 with a factory installed BOSS as stamped on the barrel. We fired it and tuned the Boss and got 1 hole groups at 100yd, He the decided He wanted a better scope on the rig so he delivered it to me for the upgrade. I took the rifle down so I could clean it and discovered the center screw is missing. Question Why does it shoot so good with an action screw missing? The rifle is bedded with glass but this missing screw has me concerned. Any Gunsmiths out there ever heard of deleting the center screw?
winchester 70.jpg

I ran the serial number and according to Winchester it was made in 1949 and it has a controlled feed bolt.

The bedding was done on the recoil lug and on the action at the rear screw so I am thinking that the center screw was omitted by whoever bedded the rifle.

Bolt picture attached

Attachments

• winchester 2.jpg
    winchester 2.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 32
I ran the serial number and according to Winchester it was made in 1949 and it has a controlled feed bolt.

The bedding was done on the recoil lug and on the action at the rear screw so I am thinking that the center screw was omitted by whoever bedded the rifle.

Bolt picture attached
Per 64 didn't have that recoil straightener wedge for the stock just about the trigger next to the bolt, I think yours is a later Post 64. Cheers
I should have added other than the Magnums and Super Grade rifles.

Well it shoots the way it is so we are going to shoot it.

My original post was about the center screw being missing, I should have left out the pre 64 part cuz thats what everyone wants to focus on.

I guess from what was stated earlier is that the action only needs the front and rear screws.

Thanks for the help fella's

Check your rifles serial number against this list. Middle screw is not for holding action in stock.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 7.35.21 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 7.35.21 AM.png
    116.2 KB · Views: 25
AJ
By the looks of the bolt knob, your rifle is not a pre64.
If the bolt has a outside extractor it is a new classic Model 70.

Some people leave the center screw loose or remove it so it doesn't bend the action and the rifle shoots better.

Hal
If its a BOSS rifel it was made in mid 1990's. Winchester Serial numbers are confusing, because they can be repeated for :different" models
But it is still one of the finest WIncheter Model 70's made. I have it in Stainless.
Like it was mentioned, center screw its NOT the action, more for the trigger. Front and rear screws are action. You might get a replacement screw from MWG (midwest gunworks)

Last edited:
I may be mistaken, but not by much.
Haha....pure sarcasm and humor on my part. I think we can say it was introduced decades ago, and Winchester had no clue about it when building their older rifles. Laugh on with me brother makes the day better.

Usually just put a dab of RTV on threads of that middle screw and don't cinch her down too tight. Hate to look at a blank unfilled hole where there should be something. Wouldn't want to misplace that blued fastener either, like ya got a shooter.