PRC bug bit me?

wasskeet

I had a good morning loading up some 6.5 PRC. Used some once-fired GW brass I got from a nice gent here. Made me a dummy round from one piece to find lands, no problem there. Loaded up some varying loads of N565 and 156 Bergers. Loaded all at about .030" off. Went to the range and shot a couple foulers with a previous load of Lapua 139/8133. Then shot the group of 3 in the photo. Noticed they chambered a little tight, but didn't seem excessively hard. I don't know if it was luck of the draw or what as those three were the only ones I could get to chamber at all. All sized at same time, same die, etc. I guess I should have checked headspace before loading any. I'll find out later - just disgusted not to shoot this gun with handloads anymore after that start.

After that, I did shoot a few factory rounds, no issue loading/ejecting - no groups like that though.

Attachments

• 0F88DDE4-4D76-4343-A266-293798DB30F3.jpeg
    0F88DDE4-4D76-4343-A266-293798DB30F3.jpeg
    806.1 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
I had the exact thing happen to me with my 7RM after I had it worked on. I even had a one hole three shot group. My problem is I had too long of a CBTO and I was jammed into the lands. After I shortened them, everything was fine, but I have not been able to duplicate the one hole group. I guess the Proof barrel I put on it likes them jammed.

Use your once fired Hornady brass and give H1000 a try near max with those 156grEH, you might be pleasantly surprised. I have gotten them to consistently produce those little bug holes with multiple Proof 26" barrels around 3000fps.

Maybe back your die off an 1/8th". You might be just hitting the crimp and pushing the shoulders out enough to not fit....I have had it happen once.....or twice.....okay Three times at best over the 50 years of loading!