Long range bug!

Rich Coyle

Over the last few days I caught the long range bug. I shot for a guy with him videoing. He is using a 6.5 Creedmore. My thought is, if a little is good a lot is better. I made a few calls to bullet companies to find out what bullets have fantastic ballistic coefficients. It sure appears the new 7mm's beat the 6.5's and in order to beat the 7's with a .308 one really has to go up in weight. So unless you folks can talk me out of going with a 7 on a big case there will be a 7RUMLN using a 30" 7 twist barrel. That is a 7 Remington Ultra Mag with the shoulder pushed back about .100" to give it a longer neck.

Any comments from the experienced and/or inexperienced shooters?

Hello,

I think you should go for it!! I have been going through all the old files from Lapuas 6.5LM program back years ago.

I thinking of doing a 7mmLM since there are some great projectiles for that.

THEIS

So Rich - you gonna put the Bushnell Elite 6500 you mentioned in the other thread on this beast?

My only concern is with that 7mm bore diameter you hit the wall where increasing case capacity doesn't get you any more velocity. I've got a 28 Nosler and it will run with the RUM while burning less powder and do it in a shorter case. As you might guess I prefer the 28 to the RUM however having a bit longer neck might give you some extra barrel life.

I am not familiar with the cartridge but you hit a point of diminishing returns about the 7-300 or 28 Nosler capacities. I would look at the 7-300 shooting 180s or a 28 Nosler custom reamer shooting 195s.

I used to use a 28" barrel 7STW firing 120 Barnes and 160 and 175 grain partition bullets for hunting. I had that barrel rechambered to 7RUM and gained a whopping 25 fps! A couple years ago I made a 6.5RUMLN on a 28" Lilja barrel. The accuracy load ran 3,419 feet per second for 140s. I think the water capacity is 109 grains, but its been awhile.

About the scope in the other thread. I tried first focal plane and do not like it. Therefore I will use second focal plane. As much of a surprise as it was when I compared my Nightforce NSX, Swarovski z5, Leupold VX-6 and Bushnell 6500 I was amazed the Bushnell came in second for resolution. Third was the VX-6 and last was the z5. I tried four z5s. Two were worse that the other two z5s. The Nightforce smoked them all during good light and low light. The other three went down at the same time in low light.

I now have three of the 6500s. But they don't get twisted so I don't know how reliable they would be in that application.

Despite this going on a heavy (for me) rifle I don't want to spend the money for a Nightforce if I can get by with a 6500.

As far as glass in the new Vortex Razor I didn't buy one but was allowed to take one outside and play with the adjustments all I wanted. The owner had four new in the box and was very curious how they would compare with the 6500. There was no comparison. It was about like a z5 at best and maybe not even that good. When I told him he did the looking for himself and was shocked.

If you plan on target shooting a lot with a 7 ultra mag (class) I hope your made of steel. I can only shoot one 5 or 6 shots before I start flinching, If its just a hunting gun shot a little here and there no doubt its a little better than the 6.5. But if I was going to be shooting it a lot, I would go with the 6.5 cause I'm not made of steel lol.

If you plan on target shooting a lot with a 7 ultra mag (class) I hope your made of steel. I can only shoot one 5 or 6 shots before I start flinching, If its just a hunting gun shot a little here and there no doubt its a little better than the 6.5. But if I was going to be shooting it a lot, I would go with the 6.5 cause I'm not made of steel lol.

I don't shoot without a muzzle brake or a suppressor. In addition this particular long ranger will be based on my Klienguenther K14 which has a fantastic "butt ugly" recoil reduction system since it is a .375 wildcat running 100 grainers at 3,000 feet per second. I can fire thirty shots in an afternoon without any shoulder discomfort.

20170512_080319_zpsjswlyvei.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.