Bit by the bug, lots of ?s now

jtmoose

I built up a 308 rifle as a hobby because my savage hunting rifle wasn't very fun at the range (not terribly accurate after multiple shots, too light to manage recoil for longer periods, etc.). After re-barreling and a stock swap, I took it to the local range out to 300yds with some federal gold medal match 168gr and what a difference! I am now interested in going as far out as I can. I also had some 168gr Hornady match that did not group as well (~2 moa in comparison to the ~1moa of the federal). So much started to sink in after seeing the difference between loads and how much variation can come from one to another. A little about the rifle:
  • 308win savage SA
  • 22" Barrel
  • 1:10
The questions that I have and am having a hard time finding the answer that scratches the itch so to speak:
  1. Is there a weight bullet I should avoid buying into because of the twist of my barrel? I don't want to spend/waste the money on any 155gr loads for example if it's a bad idea from the jump or would it depend more on the muzzle velocity of the load?
  2. I noticed the 168gr hornady match I shot was coming out ~150fps faster than the 168gr federal; does that extra velocity explain the poorer performance out of my setup with a tighter twist barrel? Should I try to find slower loads for the same weight bullet?
  3. If I want to shoot a few different loads for a few different purposes (i.e., a cheap paper puncher, a match load, a deer load, an elk load, etc.) what range would be best to zero and then use cards/program to make adjustments for the unique load? I'm thinking 200yd zero is too far because lighter or heavier bullets are already moving up/down as are faster or slower loads. Is this why 100yd zero is so common?
  4. What are some good combinations of a factory match load and a factory hunting load with similar enough ballistics they can use nearly the same zero and range cards?
Well that should get me started, ha!

Can't add any advice on 1 or 2 but for 3, use 100. You'll have to sight in for each type of load. Shots are easier to see @100 and you don't have to walk as far to set up the target. 4, to have similar zeros, the bullets have to be very similar in shape and construction. Unless you shoot bullets like Berger which have a hunting and target bullet with the same weight and shape, you may not find loads that impact close enough to use a single zero.
To be accurate at 400 + yards on small targets, I sight in my gun for each load.

What barrel (make, profile) did you put on. Did a respected gunsmith do the work. What stock did you put on. Did a respected gunsmith do the work or did you.

There are websites that are totally devoted to Savage. But I am sure you can also get pointers here as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.