Prayers Please...

Yup, you are one lucky man to have the dad that you do. I understand a lot of what you are going through because I lived most of my life with my dad, grandmother and grandfather. My grandfather died of pancreatic cancer and my grandmother (pretty much my mom) is dieing of colon cancer. My dad thankfully does not have any cancer that we know of at this point.

My dad would have gotten along with yours I do believe. My dad was in the 3rd Battalion Force Recon in Vietnam. To this day, I don't know what he did over there. I have only seen the medals that are shoved in a little metal box in a closet. He won't ever talk about it. The only people that he has ever talked about it with are his buddies that survived with him while he was there (and there are not many left).

I think this thread has turned into a lot of people caring about what you and your family is going through. I also think that it gives a lot of hope for this country with the people on here that believe in God and what he is about. So, I agree it is a very deep and moving thread.

Cheers to your dad for fighting the good fight and hope he continues to do so.

As we go along in life and we look back in the sand and only see one set of foot prints........could be he was carrying us!
GOD BLESS your entire family and GODS SPEED to your DAD!

Update:

Dad was able to get himself out of bed and into a wheel chair, with supervision, Sunday morning. After his required 2 hours out of bed he was again able to get up out of the chair and back into bed by himself, again with supervision.

We are going to try and corner his docs Monday to figure out why his bowls are still not active 2 weeks post op. We are also going to look into options to get him off of TPN. TPN is his nutrition through IV since he can not eat right now. The option we are looking at is a decompression tube placed in his stomach/abdomen are so that we can pull the pressure. My cousin, a RN, has more knowledge about this so I probably have this wrong

Exciting news everyone!!!

Got the word last night that dads colon is finally trying to start up. Dad was talking to mom yesterday evening and said that there was a little bit of waste in his ostomy bag.

Awesome!!!!

Great news!
Thank you for the update. Your dad, and your entire family continue to be in our prayers.
Amazing the impact that brave servicemen make on anyone, & everyone around them. Tell your dad thank you for me. There are still Americans who deeply appreciate what he, & others like him did, have done, & continue to do to this day. Publicized or silent. We all owe everything to our servicemen.

Sorry guys for the late reply. I had to move back in with mom and dad to help care for him. Dad got to come home on the 26th of March 2012 and I have been there ever since. Since mother and dad do not have access to internet you can understand why I have been away for some time.

The first month was tough for dad. He had to learn how to walk and basically do a lot of things we take for granted everyday like brushing ones teeth, bathing, dressing ones self, going to the bathroom, etc. Anyway dad is doing much better now. He is getting around better and is beginning to prepare meals for himself and yesterday was the first time that he got into the bath tub and bathed himself (with supervision of course) but it was a huge improvement for him. He is far from out of the woods but he is making progress. Right now dads biggest obstacle is gaining weight and building up his strength. If he can not get his weight up or his strength he will not be able to take the chemo treatment for his cancer. We have him on a pill that increases is appetite, it work just like marijuana in the fact that it gives you an intense hunger. The pill, since it is basically a legal form of synthetic HTC / marijuana, it does work. Dad is eating just about everything in sight. We go back to the oncologist in a couple of weeks to see what gains he has made. Fingers crossed!

Anyway, guys I think you so much for all your thoughts, prayers, uplifting post, and simply just pure kindness.

I don't believe one could find a better group of people anywhere.

Sincerely,

Brian Spillman

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts