Prayers for missing Hunter in Utah

Friend I'm sorry but what does your dog story have to do with
Mr Carl missing during a hunting trip and everyone sending their prayers and thoughts to the family.
Pulpwood, I would guess that's a personal thing. Loss, love and grief are not an exclusive club, as you may (or may not) already know. Sometimes a simple acknowledgement of them can be a big help. It isn't always easy, is it?
We are still praying for Carl and his family. A mighty good friend misplaced our camp one night during the onset of the first major storm of the season. Next morning, visibility was Zip but the storm was abating and she was able to walk out. So often our own lives and those of our loved ones are hanging by a hair and we are simply unaware of it. Our prayers are directed to One much higher than ourselves, but they are for Carl and his family. I'll not belittle the sentiment when the love and loss is a well loved dog, horse, or mule. As my wife would say of me, "they kinda grow on us. Malice toward none, charity toward all, my Friends. Pray for Carl ... and his family. It isn't an easy trail they are following.

GPS and radio or phone.....shouldnt be out there without something these days....
Easiest places to get turned around......flat rolling hills....
Steep terrain gives you good targets to walk towards or way from...
Sorry to say..but a hunter on Oregon's coast is still out there....i believe it has been three seasons now....went to look for his son....didnt come back.....Rogue River Agness area.....
Also read a really good story on line about how the higher ups in Forest Service/Rangers call off searches because of cost....unbelievable how many 10s of 1000s are never seen again in the state and federal parks....and the news is swept under the carpet because the parks would lose billions of dollars a year if people quit visiting....and movies quit using the scenery.........
Quite disgusting......
Let them find him....one way or another....soon...

There are a number of subjects i would like to address here. First my credentials: I have been in Search and Rescue for over 40 years and am presently commander of a SAR unit with jurisdiction over a county which is significantly larger than New Jersey. I also work ski patrol and am a mission pilot for Civil Air Patrol. Over the years I have been involved in more than 1000 searches. This hunting season has been busy. I have been involved in 4 extended searches. We found the subject in 3 of them with one still alive.
Here are some points to think about: this hunter is a 69 year old "flatlander" (anyone from low elevation) . What kind of physical shape is he in? How experienced is he in wilderness travel? In the Uinta mountains one can drive to 9000' elevation. At the ski area we have had to airlift teenagers to hospital suffering from acute mountain sickness at 9000'. I am not involved with this particular search but it has been well covered on the major TV stations out of Salt Lake.
In every extended search there is a point where the emphasis changes from a rescue to a recovery. The point when this person just could not have survived. The Utah people were at that point. We just suspended a search for a 44 year old local on the 7th day. Sounds quick, but we had 2 days of 50-70 mph winds and then a 12" dump of snow. If he wasn't Delta Force, Navy Seal or Bear Grylls he would not survive. Most people have neither the physical stamina nor the mental toughness and tenacity to handle that. WE had planes out and an Air Force chopper with thermal imaging and searchers for 5 days and 4 dog teams, one of which had already made a cadaver find. Then the snow which wiped out any scent trails and covered up any frozen body so the cadaver dogs had nothing to work with.
It is interesting that you called the online piece a "story". That it is. Fiction. There is no way that "10's of 1000's" of people go missing in our parks. I would be surprised if that number were 10's 0f 10's. The point is that at some time a search must be suspended. Resources need to be conserved and money is just one of those. There are also human issues and the dogs and aircraft. How many 12 hour days can searchers and dog teams work especially since most of our SAR teams are volunteer. The snow means they will work twice as hard to go half as fast, especially when one needs to stop to pull ice lumps from between the dog's bleeding toes. The park ranger needs to decide whether it makes more sense to continue to look for a presumed dead person or take care of his park, things like clean the bathrooms and empty garbage cans- he does not have the personnel for both. These are the things that the 99.999% of the people visiting the park will complain about. Just saying.

No problem, it's not settled until the Almighty says it is. Keep the prayers coming.
I haven't met the guy that is missing. But Brad whom I sold the Ruger Boat Paddle stock too, was a great guy. A career Air Force man. His son is currently in the Navy. Brad drove 3 hours to where I live, to take his grand kids on a little trip. I made them a list of local places to check out and have some fun. I didn't know this man before that meeting, but I sure wish I could meet more people like him. Not really sure why I wrote this, other than to say these are really great people!

I know there's always a chance, but after 36 years in military and public safety, involved in hundreds of life and death situations, I'm a realist. The most likely scenario is this gentleman has passed, and he may likely never be found.

That said, none of us are getting out of here alive. Since we all know our ultimate outcome, going out doing something we love, in the bosom of nature's most glorious setting, I can't think of many better outcomes. At least for me.

I do feel badly that the family may not get a definitive closure, but I hope they find solace that this gentleman died doing what he loved.

I know there's always a chance, but after 36 years in military and public safety, involved in hundreds of life and death situations, I'm a realist. The most likely scenario is this gentleman has passed, and he may likely never be found.

That said, none of us are getting out of here alive. Since we all know our ultimate outcome, going out doing something we love, in the bosom of nature's most glorious setting, I can't think of many better outcomes. At least for me.

I do feel badly that the family may not get a definitive closure, but I hope they find solace that this gentleman died doing what he loved.
Well said my friend. God bless you!

I haven't met the guy that is missing. But Brad whom I sold the Ruger Boat Paddle stock too, was a great guy. A career Air Force man. His son is currently in the Navy. Brad drove 3 hours to where I live, to take his grand kids on a little trip. I made them a list of local places to check out and have some fun. I didn't know this man before that meeting, but I sure wish I could meet more people like him. Not really sure why I wrote this, other than to say these are really great people!
SHOWsss HEART,at times I wonder how little is left in the world,THANKS for posting..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.