Powders for Short Barrel Magnum

teejj

I am in the process of building a 20" 300 prc. I'll be running suppressed pretty much anytime I shoot it. What powders are y'all running with the shorter barrels and 300 prc or other 30 cal magnums?

Old wisdom states that you need a faster powder for a complete burn. And that you also should use a 308 win. Fact of the matter is what works in a longer barrel will work in a shorter one to a certain extent. I'm hoping some of the specialty pistol guys will chime in with more knowledge than myself. I've used n570 in a 20" barrel 30 sherman mag and was able to achieve much better velocity with that than H1000 running 245 EOLs and 225s ELDMs.

Yeah I'm going to be running with 225 eldm and 230 atip.
Nice. I run the 225 eld m out of a .300 win and it's awesome. But with the now discontinued 8133 and out of a 24 inch.

Don't count out the boring old reliables of h4831, rl25, and imr 7828ssc in addition to the powders suggested.

Hodgdon load data shows superformance doing some very interesting things with this case. But that powder is hit and miss, either it's amazing or it plain sucks. Just my experience.

No idea abojt availability but if you can find them the newer Winchester staball HD as well as Ramshot LRT would be very worthwhile to explore (and share your findings with us, your
Long Range friends 😁)

Nice. I run the 225 eld m out of a .300 win and it's awesome. But with the now discontinued 8133 and out of a 24 inch.

Don't count out the boring old reliables of h4831, rl25, and imr 7828ssc in addition to the powders suggested.

Hodgdon load data shows superformance doing some very interesting things with this case. But that powder is hit and miss, either it's amazing or it plain sucks. Just my experience.

No idea abojt availability but if you can find them the newer Winchester staball HD as well as Ramshot LRT would be very worthwhile to explore (and share your findings with us, your
Long Range friends 😁)
Awesome, thanks. I have h4831sc, staball & magnum on hand, I'll share results when I get to try. Finding magnum load data it's kind of lacking it seems.

I would still be looking at H1000, RL23, N565. Maybe even Retumbo, RL33, or N568/570.
Those powders leave a lot of unburnt potential in that short or a barrel. Like the 300wsm, I'd probably be looking at 7828ssc, 4831 regular or ssc, maybe even 4350 is worth a shot depending on the weight of bullet.

Seeing you're wanting to shoot over 200 grain bullets my first suggestion would be the ssc's, 4831 or 7828

I have a new 26" .300PRC running 100% suppressed. I wanted, above all else, a stable and accurate load. I went H1000, the King of temp stable. Also, clean and cool burning, and highly regarded for accuracy, but sometimes lacking raw velocity.

I am right at my speed goal, not needing pedal to the metal speeds. 215 Hyb @ 2868fps after about 75 rounds down the barrel.

I am debating testing the 230 OTM or the 200.20X Hyb too. But I am pleased with how well it is shooting out to 1400 so far.

Old wisdom states that you need a faster powder for a complete burn. And that you also should use a 308 win. Fact of the matter is what works in a longer barrel will work in a shorter one to a certain extent. I'm hoping some of the specialty pistol guys will chime in with more knowledge than myself. I've used n570 in a 20" barrel 30 sherman mag and was able to achieve much better velocity with that than H1000 running 245 EOLs and 225s ELDMs.
That is indeed old wisdom. And it's wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.

If rl25 is the fastest powder in a 28 inch pipe it's going to be out of an 18, just for example.

HOWEVER…the muzzle flash and concussive blast are gonna be ferocious. To me that's the benefit of fast burning powders in short barrrls… they plainly do not yield higher velocity than the powders that do best out of longer barrels BUT they're a lot more efficient and don't give near the flash and blast.

Long Range friends 😁)
Awesome, thanks. I have do have some rs magnum on hand, I'll share results when I get to try. Finding magnum load data it's kind of lacking it seems for certain bullets.

a heavy bullet will be slightly slower in exiting the barrel and will more effectively burn the powder. Also the extended length of the bullet will provide more friction and restriction also aiding in powder burn. A hot primer and a crimp will be beneficial too.

That is indeed old wisdom. And it's wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.

If rl25 is the fastest powder in a 28 inch pipe it's going to be out of an 18, just for example.

HOWEVER…the muzzle flash and concussive blast are gonna be ferocious. To me that's the benefit of fast burning powders in short barrrls… they plainly do not yield higher velocity than the powders that do best out of longer barrels BUT they're a lot more efficient and don't give near the flash and blast.
Gonna be running a can on it so shouldn't be too big of a concern there I can't imagine. I currently have a 24" barrel but swapping to a 20" due to undesired overall length with the suppressor.

I just shot my new 22" 300PRC yesterday for the first time (not suppressed, I wish we could have them here in NY though), I had 225 ELDMs loaded up with Retumbo left over from a 26" 300 PRC. I lost 23fps per inch (25fps is the expected avg. loss per inch I believe) but they shot nice little groups, powder burned clean and thoroughly at 2757 fps. I have an ample stock of Retumbo so I'm glad it is preforming well in the 22" tube.