Powders for 300 WM & 180 AB's

Moman

I am currently loading 69.5 gr H-4350 (70.0 is max) with a 180 Accubond in a 300 WM. F-215 primer and Norma brass. The cases are all new and the shoulder stretch to case fire is .014. It's a factory chamber so it is a little big. My velocities are only getting up to 2920 fps with the 24" barrel. I have been thinking about trying RE-22 or H-1000 but I have heard the RE-22 isn't as stable with temperature changes. Will the velocity increase now that the brass is case fired? Does anyone have good advice for any of these powders? Thanks.

Moman,
I have taken my .300WMag to 71.0g of H4350 with 9.5M primers. OAL is 2.9105" using the 180gn Nosler Ballistic Tip. This will vary a little due to the AccuBond being a little longer and your rifle's chamber being different.
Anyway, at 69.0g I'm getting an average of 3092fps from my Savage 112BVSS's 26" barrel, 3117fps at 70.0g and 3154fps at 71.0. Accuracy is .370", .636 and .7675", respectively.
This rifle on average seems to produce higher than normal velocities, maybe due to a tight chamber or barrel. Not sure and don't intend to look my "gift horse" in the mouth. When my H4350 runs out I plan on trying RL22, Retumbo, IMR7828 and H1000, RL25 and many others. Hopefully I won't burn my barrel out! JohnnyK.

moman,
I have used both powders and am happy with RE22, but not so with H1000, this powder showed tendancies to go off on pressure excursions even when below published maximums, maybe due to inconsistent igniton?
Anyway, RE22 is a great powder in the 300WM and gives very uniform velocities/pressure.
An even better powder I've recently tried is RE25 which has given better accuracy than RE22 and even more uniform and higher velocity and lower pressure; standard deviations with this powder have been as low as 4 in Nosler custom brass.
If you would like the data for this powder you can PM me, and I will gladly share it with you.
PS. This is thoroughly tested data with a chronograph and inertial type pressure sensor.
Cheers.
MagnumManiac.
gun)

I've had nothing but good luck with Re22 in this chambering. I've shot it in a fairly wide temp range with no unreasonable changes.

I've used the RL22 in temps from 90* down to -25* and haven't had any problems. I think if you were to see a problem, it would be at the higher temps. But, if you don't try to max out your load, you will be fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.