Powder weighing problem?

Ok berger has a max load of RL19 of 60gr at 3012 fps. With all variable considered what would the max variance in fps that i could possibly see with the same load.

If your barrel's bore/groove diameters are larger than what the test barrel used in developing your load data, that same load in your barrel will shoot bullets slower; often much slower. The opposite's the case if your barrel's tighter than the test one.

And if you ever chronograph your loads then let a buddy shoot them in your rifle, he may get up to 100 fps more or less velocity than you do as it's held atop a bench. It's all on how hard one pulls the rifle back into their shoulder.

I personally don't think folks should be so concerned about getting their bullets to the target as fast as possible. I think it's more important to have them all arrive pretty close to the same place. Few, if any of us will ever see the difference afield down range if a bullet arrives a tiny bit slower, or faster.

Ok, another question. What would be considered a minimum acceptable velocity for a long rang rifle in a 270wsm cal.? I would eventually like to try this rifle out to 1000yrds for fun.

Take a look at the BCs of the bullets you're considering, and run them out on a ballistics program. Those that are anywhere near (say +75 fps or so) to the transonic region should get bumped from the list. Working backwards, that will also give you a range of MVs that you can consider minimum for this application.

Terminal performance is another matter, and just because a given bullet will stay supersonic at this distance, doesn't necessarily mean that it'll be a good hunting bullet. Ask around a bit on that one, and see if there's any good evidence to support the bullet you're considering.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.