Powder temp sensitivity

If I was held down to keeping one powder on the shelf it would be 4831 it works well on about everything I've used it in for years I used powder that my neighbor give me he bought 50 lbs of h4831 in 1964 for 50 cents a pound got alon well with it for a lot of years never used anything else. David

Does anyone know what additive Hodgdon uses in it's Extreme line of powders that make them more temperature stable and why don't more powder manufacturers use this additive? Does it effect the burn rate of powders or anything else in their performance?

I'm sure there additives and ingredients are proprietary.
You are no doubt correct, however it has always troubled me that other manufacturers haven't done more to make temperature insensitivity more of a priority. Surely they must know the importance many shooters give this issue. I for one always look for a temperature intensitive powder for all my hunting needs. Trouble is I can't always find one that gives the velocity and accuracy I'm looking for. Case in point, loading for a 30-06 this fall, both H4350 and Superperformance have similar accuracy in that rifle, but Superp gave over 100fps more in velocity.

If reloaders keep buying RL19, RL22, RL25, CFE223, superformance, etc. they really have no reason to spend the money and R&D. I am actually surprised by the introduction of RL16, RL23, RL26.

I could not personally care less about velocity if it swings 160 fps over 80 degrees. I will take Hodgdon extremes over more velocity every single day. I need to hit my target wether its 75 or 5 degrees out. Looking for a certain velocity makes no sense. If you need a certain velocity and a temp stable powder won't get you there pick a larger cartridge.

Your case in point is the EXACT reason why some powder makers could not care less about temp stability.

Last edited:
RL 16 will easily get you 3000 FPS and is as insensitive to temperature as a powder can be. I know you were asking about powders you had in your supply but RL16 is worth adding to your stable.

Attachments

• D5C2C429-33D4-47AF-BFE8-0E708192BD96.png
    D5C2C429-33D4-47AF-BFE8-0E708192BD96.png
    715.8 KB · Views: 120
Alliant, Winchester, hodgdon, imr are all offering stabile powders.
I use rl26 from -10 to 90. Never had an issue to 1000 for hunting. Comps the temps are 50-100. Haven't had any issues to 1400. Maybe past that the issues show up but I don't shoot elr.

keep in mind most every powder made works for normal hunting range. The vast majority of hunters won't see any benefit to extreme powders

The vast majority of hunters won't see any benefit to extreme powders
This I disagree with, if your on the upper end of a load and you go hunting and its 30 degrees warmer you could start popping primers or have very sticky bolt.

This I disagree with, if your on the upper end of a load and you go hunting and its 30 degrees warmer you could start popping primers or have very sticky bolt.
Those people should not be reloading if they don't understand the basics. My point was more related to FPS change in temp drops since the majority of people don't develop loads in the winter months. Consequently hunters tend to shoot their hunting rifle in the fall, zero in late summer after load development, and hunt inside 300. Other than a hot load issue most won't see the benefit.

I try and developed all my loads in early spring as close to hunting temps as possible. Here in Montana I've hunted from -20 to 60 deg.
What happens if your in a cold climate and go say to Arizona elk hunting or say in Arizona and go to the Yukon moose or sheep hunting.

Again, if you are a reloader and know what you are doing you will adjust your load. If you don't know what you are doing and running max loads you may have an issue. May is the key word because some powders are very sensitive but the majority of popular hunting cartridge level powders are not that bad. Not good enough for long range shooters but not that bad for a guy who is loading for accuracy and not concerned about max speed. Heck I never loaded for max speed back in the day. I used to load for accuracy at 100 and zero for pbr to 300. Never had an issue from -10 to 100 using imr. Mostly used 4064. Now, I'm like anyone who shoots long range and wide temp variant, I use extreme powders only.

If reloaders keep buying RL19, RL22, RL25, CFE223, superformance, etc. they really have no reason to spend the money and R&D. I am actually surprised by the introduction of RL16, RL23, RL26.

I could not personally care less about velocity if it swings 160 fps over 80 degrees. I will take Hodgdon extremes over more velocity every single day. I need to hit my target wether its 75 or 5 degrees out. Looking for a certain velocity makes no sense. If you need a certain velocity and a temp stable powder won't get you there pick a larger cartridge.

Your case in point is the EXACT reason why some powder makers could not care less about temp stability.
That's a shame, but you are correct on all points. Thanks for your input.

Well I did roll some new rounds up with RL15 and 90 gr Sierra TGK after I posted this thread. The accuracy of these rounds did not compare to the original rounds I loaded with 4064 to test the rifle before I had it rebuilt. The reason I was looking into the temp stability was because I was planning on using this rifle as my practice gun throughout the year to maximize the life of my 28. The combo of 4064 and the 90 gr TGK were giving me 1/2 moa groups at 200 yds well under max loading. Therefore I may just stay with this loading, knowing that I shouldn't shoot it in extreme high temps.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.