Powder Storage

There may be an exception somewhere but I could not find it for personal use. Commercial storage is completely different than for personal use and has different quantities as well.

There may be an exception somewhere but I could not find it for personal use. Commercial storage is completely different than for personal use and has different quantities as well.

I think Kimber7man already cited the exception, which relates to powder intended for personal use being stored in residences.

I was referring to a question of storing greater than 50 lbs for personal use for which I cannot find any exception to the NFPA legal requirements which is what ATF and SAAMI both reference.

JB: Selkirk NY?

Started to organize my reloading area. Yep, I need to move those primers.

Attachments

• 3E85532F-F80C-46E0-924A-C6333460E11E.jpeg
    3E85532F-F80C-46E0-924A-C6333460E11E.jpeg
    335.5 KB · Views: 98
I was referring to a question of storing greater than 50 lbs for personal use for which I cannot find any exception to the NFPA legal requirements which is what ATF and SAAMI both reference.

JB: Selkirk NY?
I'm not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV, and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but having actually written a few regulations as part of my job, I would say the most likely interpretation of 10-3.7 is that individuals are not allowed to store more than 50 pounds in their residence. But I haven't read the entirety of the pertinent regulations, so I could definitely be off base.

Yes, Selkirk, NY.

I'm not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV, and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but having actually written a few regulations as part of my job, I would say the most likely interpretation of 10-3.7 is that individuals are not allowed to store more than 50 pounds in their residence. But I haven't read the entirety of the pertinent regulations, so I could definitely be off base.

Yes, Selkirk, NY.
Same here, I've had to interpret regulations for 40+ years and I just don't see an exception the the max storage quantity.

I will send you PM on Selkirk comment.

Not what it seems. I'm actually down to <1000 mag LR. I load for a lot of stuff. Lg and sml pistol, std & mag, lg and sml std rifle and mag in both, BR lg and sml rifle, and 3 varieties of shotgun. Once you divide it up, not a huge quantity of anything except shotgun🤔

Good stuff. To me, the biggest issue is confinement, i.e. potential build up of pressure in case of ignition. Bottom line, bottles of powder on an open shelf is safer than powder stored in a metal container such as an ammo box that will allow pressure to build up before rupturing. The regs don't mention what the SAAMI brochure on smokeless powder does: "Storage cabinets should be constructed of insulating materials and with a weak wall, seams or joints to provide an easy means of self-venting."

It's just fuel.

At one time I did some HVAC repair work. I was sent to do normal winterizing/safety check. Boss mentioned there had been a fire a this residency previously. Noticed right away the home owner was very concern we make sure we look furnace over well. Do a C.O. test etc. Soon after customer joined us downstairs.Thats when I noticed scaring on his face and hands. I brought up the fireo_O. He explained he had done reloading. For what ever reason he had extra gunpowder in a coffee can by his bench grinder. Yep,,,forgot about it. Went down to grind something he was working on,BOOM! Blew him against, and stuck him to a peg board,(things you hang tools on). But he said he was lucky! Showed me where the force of the blast went the "other way", down the hallway,taking out a support wall!
He no longer reloads. Be careful out there!
Hard to believe that story. Smokeless gun powder doesn't explode unless it is in an air tight space that allows pressure to build up. A coffee can isn't going to do that.
Black powder on the other hand, does explode.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.