Powder Storage

I've always loaded all of my ammo in a 14' x 24' building separate from my house. I've always stored all of my powder, primers, and a large majority of ammo in those building. While it isn't climate controlled, it is fully insulated, I do have a window unit A/C mounted thru the wall, and use a propane heater to warm the shop in the winter if I'm loading.
I have never had any issues with temperature changes in side the shop affecting any of my powder or primers.

I know the Fire Chief of the local VFD, and he's aware of what I keep in that building. I've told him if there's ever a fire, just stay back and let it burn. And watch me cry!

Finally found the video of what I thought was my organized reloading area (wife was even impressed), but viewing this thread I'm not there yet.

Attachments

• 80BDA2FA-3886-4B6C-8ADE-8426600197FC.png
    80BDA2FA-3886-4B6C-8ADE-8426600197FC.png
    312.6 KB · Views: 89
All good suggestions. Keep components in original containers. One important thing to remember, there are laws concerning how much powder you can store. Remember your home owner' insurance policy may have provisions limiting the amount of powder you store. Pity to have bad fire and lose your insurance because of a finding of improper powder storage. Something to think about.
I wanted fire resistant boxes mostly because I'm paranoid and used to working in chemistry labs with flammable cabknets, but this right here too. Check your state and local fire codes too, mine follows NFPA 495, and therefore requires a flammable cabinet for >20 lbs powder (which I don't quite have yet but it helps me sleep better at night).

I mostly followed these plans, but if you're an experienced woodworker it's just a glued and screwed cabinet with 1" nominal walls. I made a large one for powder and a (too small of one) for primers that I keep across the room. No latch, just a tight fit and spring pressure from the hinges.

Attachments

• DSC_0276.JPG
    DSC_0276.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 88
  • DSC_0278.JPG
    DSC_0278.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts