Powder Storage

All good suggestions. Keep components in original containers. One important thing to remember, there are laws concerning how much powder you can store. Remember your home owner' insurance policy may have provisions limiting the amount of powder you store. Pity to have bad fire and lose your insurance because of a finding of improper powder storage. Something to think about.

I keep my powder in my home in my reloading room. I have a plastic shelf I bought from Menard's to store my powder and primers on. I also keep my reloading room at 40-45 relative humidity with a dehumidifier and leave it around 66-70 degrees.
669694D2-C3E5-4709-A7E3-B795C193BC8A.jpeg

At one time I did some HVAC repair work. I was sent to do normal winterizing/safety check. Boss mentioned there had been a fire a this residency previously. Noticed right away the home owner was very concern we make sure we look furnace over well. Do a C.O. test etc. Soon after customer joined us downstairs.Thats when I noticed scaring on his face and hands. I brought up the fireo_O. He explained he had done reloading. For what ever reason he had extra gunpowder in a coffee can by his bench grinder. Yep,,,forgot about it. Went down to grind something he was working on,BOOM! Blew him against, and stuck him to a peg board,(things you hang tools on). But he said he was lucky! Showed me where the force of the blast went the "other way", down the hallway,taking out a support wall!
He no longer reloads. Be careful out there!
There is no monopoly on stupidity.

My powder and primers are stored in two separate place each. Most of the powder is kept in my shop in a insulted walk in freezer room inside ice chest in their original packaging. The powder inside is kept in two places, one in a cabinet above my reloading bench for a selection of one pounders that I regularly use. And the others go under another open faced work bench in my gun / reloading room.
The primers are also stored in a separate cabinet above my reloading bench for the ones that are out of their 5k sleeves and the rest are stored on the top shelf underneath, at the opposite end of the work bench.

Last edited:
I have powder that is close to 30 years old ,so far so good n primers same age. I have it stored in my gun room in the shop in a craftsman work bench,shelves on one side and drawers on other side and the powder is stored on shelves while primers are in the drawers and I feel comfortable with that but my question is....Is there a method to tell when components get to old? Can anyone clue me in?

Something else you should think about. ATF and NFPA powder storage requirements for personal use.
ATF:
10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

SAAMI has reference to NFPA code requirements as well. Link: Saami nfpa

NFPA is originator for the ATF 10-3.7 storage requirements.

so I just bought a fire proof safe for this very reason and now I'm questioning my dissension. i put it in the back of my shop but it will get 80* in there some times. Might need to move it for a couple of months. But you make me wonder about some powder that I've had for 20 years, how do you know if it is still good and how do you till?

Something else you should think about. ATF and NFPA powder storage requirements for personal use.
ATF:
10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

What's their storage requirement for over 50 lbs? Asking for a friend.

ATF:

This actually makes sense. Wood insulates better than metal or plastic. Metal actually conducts heat, and plastic will melt. So in case of a fire, a wooden box will keep the powder from burning longer than a metal box or plastic container will, maybe long enough for the fire department to put out the fire before it gets to the powder/primers.

It's also not a bad idea to keep the door to the room closed. As a volunteer firefighter, I've seen structures that were burned to the point of the studs being exposed and fully charred, but a room on the other side of a hollow-core wooden door escaped any fire damage. It won't hold back the fire forever, but it buys time, either for you to get out or for someone to extinguish the fire.

NFPA is the lead agency on the maximum quantity of storage based upon everything I have found so far relative to personal use maximum quantity that ATF points to within their regulations. SAAMI also points to NFPA for the max storage as well. I've attached the SAAMI powder and primer storage as reference. Also added link to e-CFR page where you can go to ATF under 27 CFR.

e-CFR LINK: e-CFR website

Attachments

• Info-Doc-Primers.pdf
    76.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Info-Doc-Smokeless-Powder.pdf
    68.2 KB · Views: 127
so I just bought a fire proof safe for this very reason and now I'm questioning my dissension. i put it in the back of my shop but it will get 80* in there some times. Might need to move it for a couple of months. But you make me wonder about some powder that I've had for 20 years, how do you know if it is still good and how do you till?
Check out the SAAMI attachment above on powder.

NFPA is the lead agency on the maximum quantity of storage based upon everything I have found so far relative to personal use maximum quantity that ATF points to within their regulations. SAAMI also points to NFPA for the max storage as well. I've attached the SAAMI powder and primer storage as reference. Also added link to e-CFR page where you can go to ATF under 27 CFR.

e-CFR LINK: e-CFR website
Man! I know many who are no where near complying with these regs - including the 2 gunshops I trade with. At least prior to the current shortages.
Even before the shortages it was common to have at least 25k primers on the shelf. I'd have to talley up powder, but I bet I'm close or over there too. I load both rifle and shotgun and shoot competitively. No way competitive shooters could comply with this. We all buy (bought) in quantity.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts