Powder Question for 7mm Mag

RE26 with a 168 berger. Do you mind sharing your load and what velocity you're getting?
I'm at 3045 with an es of 9 I'm overbook so I would say start at 67in Win brass and 66.5 in fed etc. I'm seated so the boatail is at the neck shoulder. I don't have any loaded at this time and my notes only have my comparator numbers at this time. I don't shoot this much so when I load for it I will leave them very long and seat them to the coal the night or 2 before I use them. If I do it this way my sd's don't change much loading to length then letting them sit for the summer creates issues in sd and group size. My brother's gun doesn't get the details like my stuff. He just wants a box for hunting season and he will check zero maybe shot a couple rocks or a coyote and his deer.

To give you a little reference, the 7 mag I just got done with not long ago I was 2950 with 180 Berger, RL26 and CCI 250 in a 26" tube.
I would say CaptRB is spot on

My gun is throated for 180s so please don't use my load to start. The load I got from Travis was 69 gr RE 26. Dummy round was 3.47 coal. Using my comparator on the dummy round, I can get the 168s to the same length to ogive and still have enough bullet in the case without boat tail being in the neck. His load was with Remington brass and cci 250s. I have Norma brass and Fed 215ms so I'll start around 67 for the 168s. If no luck, I'll just use 180s and work up to his pet load.

My Fierce Fury just arrived and I am itching to start working up some loads. I plan to start with a 162gr ELD-X. There are 5 powders that can reach 2900-3000 fps via Hornady's reloading manual. I currently have IMR-4831 and RL-22. The other three powders are Magpro, H1000, and RL-25. Are there any advantages to the H1000 versus RL-22 / IMR 4831 for example?

TIA

Out of curiosity what state are you hunting in (normally)? And in what temps?

2900-3K is a great speed range for the 160's

Side note, I'd not over look 7828

Out of curiosity what state are you hunting in (normally)? And in what temps?

2900-3K is a great speed range for the 160's

Side note, I'd not over look 7828
The included 0.5 MOA target included with the rifle from Fierce stated a velocity of 2982 fps with Hornady Hunter Precision factory ammo. Location is in Utah @ 5000ft elevation.

I concurr!!! Glad you mentioned ADG carries it. Tired of Nosler...
FYI 7mm REM is on backorder 11-15-2020 when I ordered it two weeks ago. I am using new RL 22 and getting 3/4" with old factory Rem 700 and old Federal brass. Cannot wait until I get my ADG brass.

Last edited:
I loaded for 2 different friends 7 mags and got great accuracy with IMR4451 and the 162 ELDX. Running just above 2900 FPS out of 24" Savage LRH and the other a Rem 700. IMR4451 is easily available also. Got up to 2925 when pressure started showing. Coues Buck shot this year at 642 yards with this load. 58.5 grains IMR 4451.

I run 67.0 H-1000 and a 160 accubond in one. 3043fps.
I get 2940 in a 280ai 162 eld-x with 59.5 H4831sc. I have not messed with the imr powders but h4831 seems like it's still around. It'd be a good one to try

Like a lot of the guys have said above. H1000 acts really good w/my 180 Hornaday ELDMs and Bergers 180 grain VLD's. RL 26 has done well for me as well. I hunt in Texas so 80+ degrees is pretty common. Testing both powders now. I also like 7828 ssc in the 284 calibers especially w/the Accubond 140 grain and the new Federal Edge 155 grain. Very accurate.

Here is my RL 26 data. 26" barrel and the velocity is from 10 shots averaged from my lab radar. No pressure signs with this load but primers were showing signs at 69.0 grains. As always approach loads with caution.

7Bean:RL26.jpeg

I've had great results with H1000 and the 162 ELD-X in my Montana Rifle Company X2. Shot a ladder and found two nodes one near the middle and the other at the top so that's what I shoot, 70gr. I just loaded to magazine length minus a little for reliable feeding.

I've found that Reloder 23 and 26 run close to Reloder 22 and 25 respectively and are more temp stable. I've run a lot of ladder/speed tests against H4831SC, Imr7828sc, Retumbo. Reloder will always outrun these powders in my 7RM.
Since I have used Nosler brass, I cannot push these loads to find and use max pressure as it opens primer pockets in just a few reloads. Therefore, some results other guys have may be different.
So basically I am not scalding hot on my reloads, but just staying a few percent less powder than most do. I settle for hunting accuracy rather than that last node I know I'm leaving on the table. Reloder gives me more speed without having to go over the max data of the other brands.
What is your recipe for your loads? Have you ever tried IMR 4350?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.