Powder for 7mm mag?!

Deederswy

Hello again everyone,

So im running into the problem that im guessing some if not most have before....I have been using H1000, 168vld and fed 215 primers for my load but the issue is I cant seem to find H1000 powder anymore. I have had great results with 7828 but those are the only 2 powders I have used before....my question is what would you all consider the top 5 powders for a 7 mag? Just looking for more options just in case I run into some other powders and H1000 isn't one of them...thanks!

I'm one of those who never could get H1000 to shoot in anything. As for other powders, there's a lot that shoot good. I've had excellent luck with IMR4350, Retumbo, and 7828. Reloder 22, 25, and 33 are supposed to all be good choices as well.

I have had good luck with rl-25. Just make sure and develope the load for hunting temps if that is the desired outcome.

Back when I owned a 7 mag RL-22 gave me the best performance with bullets in the 150-160 gr range, while IMR 4350 seemed to work just a skosh better with 120-140 gr bullets.....There's no "hard and fast rules" but you will probably find that the slower powders, RL-25, IMR-7828, H-1000, and the such, will probably work somewhat better with heavier bullets, at least that what I observed......As most know, "magnums" for the most part, were designed to push heavy bullets fast and far....Hope you find something that works......

probaby have had my best luck with 4831, re19, re22 and 7828 in that order. Surely no need for anything slower burning the 7828

I have shot the 7mm mag since 1962. Every conceivable bullet and combination I have tried. From 140 to the 180 gr.
Flashole in the last post has it right.
The 7mm mag has been neutered throughout the years through the different freebores , tight to loose chambering's among other factors that determine load pressures. They have backed the loads off so far that the loads are lawyer proof and safe in any rifle.Now even the 280 and the 270 seem more viable. Some even state the 280 Ackley is as powerful. Well this ever may be touted on paper but they load it to 65000 pounds of pressure in a non belted case! Yet they say the 7mm mag can not be safe at this pressure in a belted case? l believe the belted case is stronger and more case capacity will give more fps resulting in more energy and flatter shooting. This is proven in the 7mm STW, The 7 mag is hardly a overbore cartridge with todays powder. Use it for what its made for the 160 gr used the best at one time but with todays newer powders the 168 to 175 work better. A 175 LRAB stoked with Retumbo with Winchester brass and Winchester Mag primer will push this over 3050 with no problem and brass can be reloaded several times. The powders that work even better but are not as readily available that you will not read about on the internet are Ramshot Magnum and the best is Norma N570. They will out perform Retumbo by 50 to 75 fps with 570 being more accurate with less muzzle pressure. Good luck.

I have great results with 160gr accubonds and Ramshot Magnum.
It is very consistent and temp stable..which I know is surprising since it's a ball powder

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.