Powder for 7 RUM and 180 gr. Berger VLD

Nimrodmar10

Powder for 7 RUM and 180 gr. Berger VLD

I've got a Remington Sendero in 7mm RUM on the way. I'm going to shoot the Berger 180 gr. VLD Hunting bullet in my reloads. What would be the best powder for this combination? And what kind of velocities are you getting with your loads with specific loads? Thanks for the info. Components are to expensive to do much experimenting

I was running 86 grains of Retumbo with a coal of 3.840. This resulted in 3100 fps and no pressure. I have since moved to a 190 matrix and have been using hodgdon 869 powder since Retumbo was giving me only 3 loads on the brass. 869 seems to be better for brass life while giving 50 fps faster loads. I haven't tried the 869 with the 180 bergers but I am using 95 grains with the 190's so that would be a good starting point for the 180's

I shoot a 7 mm allenmagnum, Hornday us 869 has been one the books. 168 bergers with 112 grs. of 869. This gives me 3650 no pressures yet. So now moving to the 180 bergers, I would like to be in 3250 or so,190 in the 3175, then 200 in the 3100. But for powder one may try even Hornday 50 bmg..
Things to think about. gun)

Retumbo or H1000 will be your go-to owders. US869 produces great velocities, but its temperature sensitivity makes it much less desirable for longrange shooting.

Hey fellas,

I asked this question on another thread and got no reply.

Does anyone know how the 160 AB and the US869 would work for a combo? Someone said It works well with heavy bullets (168+) I figured it should do well with 160's since it is only 8gr diff.

Not trying to. It seemed to fit here and I'm wondering the same thing, just with lighter bullets. Not meaning to take it over just curious about the same thing:)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.