Possible press issue-need some help

JAYgs8163

I've got my original Lee press and I think it may be causing me some issues. I've noticed the ram has got some significant play in it now. Ive noticed it especially cants when I'm depriming a case. It shifts ever so slightly after the primer is extracted and I'm on the down stroke. Not a big deal on small bore cartridges but when I do some magnum brass like 300WSM it seems to be causing a issue on the bottom of the brass. Seems be causing uneven pressure when removing the case from die which seems to be deforming the brass down by the base. Has anyone ever experienced or witnessed something like this? I tried to upload a short video but no luck.

The Lee aluminum presses do wear out. The turret type Lee press also needs the bolts that hold the upper part to the lower part tightened up at times to keep things in line. I would get a good cast steal press if I were you.

Agree with Savage 12BVSS. Time for a new press. Is your Lee an "O" frame or "open" frame style? Only advice I can give is since I assume you already have the other reloading components (dies, priming tool, scale, etc...), do some research and buy the best replacement you can. Do the same with other components as they wear out. This way, you increase the quality of your equipment and the ammo you produce each step along the way.

All good advice, If you can see movement in the press, it has been worn out a long time. You shouldn't be able to see and movement or misalignment in the press where tolerances should be less than one thousandths.

As recommended, research the features and quality of available presses and decide on your choice.
There will be many recommendations so chose wisely. Cost can be an indication of quality, so start in the mid range presses and avoid the cheep ones and you will be ok for a lifetime.

J E CUSTOM

I've acquired a pretty nice selection of equipment. If any of you had a budget of $250-300 what would your choice be? The press I have now is from Lee and the body is aluminum where I think my issue arises from. It was inexpensive and I had small budget when I started on the reloading venture. It's about 10 years old and has done many thousands of loads. I'm just looking for couple of choices from experiences you've all had. Thanks guys.

I just received the 9-3/4" quick change mount for my rockchucker II. Bought extra plates for my case trimmer and progressive press along with mounting brackets to store the unused plates/presses. Love it so far, but my favorite in-line fab product is the primer catcher that sends spent primers through a tube and into the trash can. Anyone who has ever used a rockchucker can attest to the mess left on the ram after depriming.

I just received the 9-3/4" quick change mount for my rockchucker II. Bought extra plates for my case trimmer and progressive press along with mounting brackets to store the unused plates/presses. Love it so far, but my favorite in-line fab product is the primer catcher that sends spent primers through a tube and into the trash can. Anyone who has ever used a rockchucker can attest to the mess left on the ram after depriming.
Is that who makes those stands he had. In-Line Fab?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.