Portable shooting bench recommendations

This is what we use. Very solid and adjustable for uneven terrain. Used with a 3 leg drummer stool works very well.
That would be a much better design if they made it ambidextrous. These tables are lighter, have a lot more room on them, ambi, can actually swivel point of aim through a 90 degree arc quite easily, and very cheap at about 45 bucks on sale at Lowes or Home Depot for the 4 or 5 footer. We drilled a hole in the corner of one for an umbrella.

1686336335416.png

Last edited:
We have lefties shoot off our right hand bench often. Works fine. They do make ambi benches.

They even make one that is dedicated to the backwards shooters. 😁

We have lefties shoot off our right hand bench often. Works fine. They do make ambi benches.

They even make one that is dedicated to the backwards shooters. 😁

Cool. Those look a bunch easier for those of us in our right minds to use.

On my most recent prairie dog shoot, the guide had the Herters Deluxe shooting benches and they were very sturdy and provided a great shooting/seating platform. The problem is that I can't seem to source any new ones. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Also any recommendations on benches that are sturdy, collapsible, portable and solid platforms/seats are greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance
RB II, Hunting PD's is something I really enjoy doing. I go on 2-3 hunts every year. There are a number of different ways to hunt prairie dogs. I started out shooting of a fixed table, but I later started using a rotating table. Now I have my original rotating table mounted in the back of my pick up truck and a second rotating table (Caldwell Stable Table) mounted on a 6'X10' trailer. This system works good for me and my friends. My original rotating table is about 25 years old and is no longer in production. A few years ago I researched the internet for the maker of the table (Bob Jourdan) and found a reference to him as follows: "His metal shop guy, Rob Byfield, 918-333-8100 has the design and can build you the base, and then you can make/install the top to save on the shipping cost..." I don't know if this is true, but it might be something to check out. The Stable Table is not a bad rotating table, especially for the price, but it has a weakness in the design that puts it in a slight bind when rotating. My brother in law modified it (he put a cylinder on which it rotates on the base instead of on the bottom of the table) and it rotates really smoothly now. The original rotating table has been modified to sit on a pedestal that's bolted to a 4'x4' metal base in the truck's cargo box. The RASS looks like a good system, but I like having a table top to have my equipment on.
Caldwell Stable Table
IMG_3031.JPG
IMG_0978.JPG
Modified original rotating table

I've always used a table bench that I made and it has always worked well, except for the constant picking the table up and turning and releveling it. But this year I took out a Caldwell rotating bench and liked it a lot better. We shot in a dog town for 3 days where it was almost 360° shooting and the rotating table made it so much nicer.

Added a better table top to it, and get a boat seat with a back on it. Your back will thank you.

Last week
AF342935-B9AC-4F56-9864-0CC2E97155E1.jpeg

3A99A447-47C3-4BED-BCBD-23E58D0C5270.jpeg

RB II, Hunting PD's is something I really enjoy doing. I go on 2-3 hunts every year. There are a number of different ways to hunt prairie dogs. I started out shooting of a fixed table, but I later started using a rotating table. Now I have my original rotating table mounted in the back of my pick up truck and a second rotating table (Caldwell Stable Table) mounted on a 6'X10' trailer. This system works good for me and my friends. My original rotating table is about 25 years old and is no longer in production. A few years ago I researched the internet for the maker of the table (Bob Jourdan) and found a reference to him as follows: "His metal shop guy, Rob Byfield, 918-333-8100 has the design and can build you the base, and then you can make/install the top to save on the shipping cost..." I don't know if this is true, but it might be something to check out. The Stable Table is not a bad rotating table, especially for the price, but it has a weakness in the design that puts it in a slight bind when rotating. My brother in law modified it (he put a cylinder on which it rotates on the base instead of on the bottom of the table) and it rotates really smoothly now. The original rotating table has been modified to sit on a pedestal that's bolted to a 4'x4' metal base in the truck's cargo box. The RASS looks like a good system, but I like having a table top to have my equipment on.
Caldwell Stable Table
View attachment 469125View attachment 469126Modified original rotating table
That looks very solid and I can see that the swivel would be very useful in picking up more targets with little "setup". Looks like a serious shooter owns that!!!!!!

I've always used a table bench that I made and it has always worked well, except for the constant picking the table up and turning and releveling it. But this year I took out a Caldwell rotating bench and liked it a lot better. We shot in a dog town for 3 days where it was almost 360° shooting and the rotating table made it so much nicer.

Added a better table top to it, and get a boat seat with a back on it. Your back will thank you.

Last week
View attachment 469183
View attachment 469184
I am considering building a three legged table. I have an abundance of 1" sch 80 pipe and sch 80 sleeve material that fits tight over the top of that, 1 1/4" IIRC. Likely would use a short section of the sleeve mounted to the top and insert the 1" legs into that. Fairly portable, collapsible and sturdy enough for most shooting. Considering this as I have these materials at hand and can cut/fit/weld up a bunch of leg/sleeve pieces in short order.

I received the new Cabelas Deluxe Shooting stand today. Free shipping, so not a bad deal at all. It is basically identical to the Herters previous model. Collapsible and portable yet sturdy, so should be a great addition to my future varmint setups and solo trips to the range, as I have a heavy table but not easily moved by one person, so I don't shoot as much there as I would like to due to that.

On my most recent prairie dog shoot, the guide had the Herters Deluxe shooting benches and they were very sturdy and provided a great shooting/seating platform. The problem is that I can't seem to source any new ones. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Also any recommendations on benches that are sturdy, collapsible, portable and solid platforms/seats are greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance
Make your own. Aluminum Unistrut for the legs and seat arm. 2 inch Aluminum conduit. Aluminum bar stock 3 in. For seat post and center post. quarter inch plate leg bracket and DEL Ron Plastic to line for center post. OH and plywood and a seat. You need to box in your seat arm. I had the alum I had bought for scrap price and still had about $250. In it. A guy in Montana made some similar to mine we're just over $800 10 years ago. I think he sold his patent to Codwell. Not for sure. I have made 3 of them.

Attachments

• Bench 2 BMG50.JPG
    Bench 2 BMG50.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 1587009445997.jpg
    1587009445997.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 1587009442478.jpg
    1587009442478.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 99
Make your own. Aluminum Unistrut for the legs and seat arm. 2 inch Aluminum conduit. Aluminum bar stock 3 in. For seat post and center post. quarter inch plate leg bracket and DEL Ron Plastic to line for center post. OH and plywood and a seat. You need to box in your seat arm. I had the alum I had bought for scrap price and still had about $250. In it. A guy in Montana made some similar to mine we're just over $800 10 years ago. I think he sold his patent to Codwell. Not for sure. I have made 3 of them.
That looks very sturdy. I can weld mild steel but no rig to weld aluminum, so SOL on building one of those. I do have a very large sheet of 1/4 aluminum plate. Would make a nice top for a base like that.
Thanks