Pointed bullets for hunting (new SMKs) - thoughts & experiences.

bellabulldog

I've been using the new 110SMK 6mm bullets in my 6XC DTA. Had great results, consistent, insensitive to seat depth, and first class BC. I think a lot of the improvements have been due to uniformed and factory pointed meplat. I don't do any hunting or plan to hunt with my 6XC, but some of the new offerings in the .30 caliber stuff have me wanting to switch bullets for my 300 Norma.

Been using the 225 ELD-M in my 300 Norma, killed a cow elk last year with it. Rifle was great, bullet performed great.

Previous owner of my rifle had a load worked up that he alleged did 3180fps with Berger 215 Hybrids and Retumbo. With my rifle and the 225 ELD-Ms, top velocity for me was 2980, anything over that and it was sticky bolt lift. I had read that slower velocity might be due to increased length of bearing surfaces relative to the Berger. It's also 10 grains heavier. I'd suspect the 230 SMKs have a shorter bearing surface possibly allowing them to be pushed faster?

I've used solids for hunting in the past, especially in Africa without problems, granted these were straight walled, round nose solids and had great results, in fact, killed 3 cape buffalo with a 7x57 using those.

The reason I bring up straight walled round nose solids, they are much less prone to deflection. What's your guys experience shooting factory pointed bullets? When they do fail can they be relied upon to have minimal deflection? Should these even be a consideration for hunting?

I also realize the practical difference is probably negligible between the two bullets, but was curious none the less.

A few buddies, and I, have shot a lot of game, from jackrabbit, to coyotes, to deer and pronghorn with the 6.5mm 142 SMKs. From 2850 to 3150MV, from 18 to 700+ yards. All great performance on game.

I plan to use the 6.5mm 150 SMK in my 6.5 SS for deer and antelope. I have shot coyote with them already, and very impressive results.

Also used the .308 210 SMK on elk with great results. And the 7MM 183 SMK as well. Flattens game.

I am starting a build of a 6mm, probably 6CM, and plan on running the 110SMK in it.

Have used the A-max and Custom Comp from Nosler in a couple of rifles. At close range on the little whitetail here in Texas, they kill quite well. Problem is exit wounds can be rather massive. Losing meat isn't what I'm wanting.
It seems that below about 2800 fps, they work well. Game shot at 200 + yards died quick but with either little or no, exit wounds.
Personally, I've switched over to Acubond Long Range for some of my rifles.

...I've used solids for hunting in the past, especially in Africa without problems, granted these were straight walled, round nose solids and had great results, in fact, killed 3 cape buffalo with a 7x57 using those.

The reason I bring up straight walled round nose solids, they are much less prone to deflection. What's your guys experience shooting factory pointed bullets? When they do fail can they be relied upon to have minimal deflection? Should these even be a consideration for hunting?

I also realize the practical difference is probably negligible between the two bullets, but was curious none the less.

Congratulations on your Cape Buffalo! I have not shot any pointed FMJ at game. I did finish my Cape Buffalo with Woodleigh Solids after the first shot of a Hornady SPRN in .375 H&H.
I believe you will find that the pointed bullets will veer off track much more easily than a straight wall hunting bullet. I remember reading that after WWII some hunters tried using the pointed style Armor Piercing rounds available at that time with poor results on larger African game. I am sure that they worked fine on plains game, but did not penetrate straight on heavy game. But, again this is what I read, no direct experience.

good Luck
Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.