Thoughts and ideas for hunting/practial shoot

Overwatcher

Getting ready to put on a little steel shootout with some locals/friends in the valley and wanted to run it by with you all and get some more ideas to make it fun and challenging.Just to give an idea of the crowd that will be there,will range from guys who shoot a .270 with a 3x9 scope that might not even shoot 2 boxes a year to others who really get fancy with their gear.So a wide mix of shooters,but really the goal is to have fun and let some others pick up some shooting/gear tips.Not sure if any of you have shot any PRS matches but I'm sure some good ideas could come from that type of match.Any ideas/rules/a scenario/different way to score etc are welcome.. Here are my thoughts so far and thanks in advance! I will post pictures of the shoot afterwards.

Rules:

There will be 4 stations of fire consisting of 3-4 targets per stage.As of now 13 targets total,no more than 16.

Targets will be from 50-600 yards.

Shooting positions will consist of practical hunting/shooting positions,each target may or may not have a "scenario"/par time. (Example:The big buck is about to head into the trees and you have xx seconds to engage it with shooting sticks etc...)There will also be natural object courses of fire to shoot from as well.

Scoring goes as follows:Shoot until you hit scoring.
1st round hit-5 points
2nd Round hit-3 points
3rd Round hit-1 point
Miss-rubber turkey

There will also be added "bonus" targets at positions, that if hit are worth an extra point(1).

If your par time runs out or 3 shots have been fired before the target is hit,any shots afterwards will not be recorded for points.

There will be an "official" keeping score and safety in check.Also spotters are welcomed,so bring your spotting scope.

Misses/corrections can be called by anyone you choose,Coaching is welcomed..Hits will be called/scored by scorekeeper.

Highest score wins,if the result of a tie exists there can be a best 3 shot group to settle the score.

No alcohol will be permitted during the shootout,however welcomed at the BBQ when the shooting is over.No one should be sent home,but drinking will be your ticket out if your still shooting.

Firearms will remain unloaded behind the line of fire at all times.NO exceptions.

No steel core/AP ammo allowed,tears up the steel.

YOU are responsible and held liable for all your actions,be safe have fun.

Sounds like a lot of fun and a great way to work on one's field skills. Definitely more entertaining than just shooting from a bench and more beneficial as well.

Sounds like a lot of fun and a great way to work on one's field skills. Definitely more entertaining than just shooting from a bench and more beneficial as well.

Exactly!That's what I'm gearing it around.More practical/real life hunting type scenarios with added stressors of a timer/people watching.After shooting 3 gun/uspsa the last 5 years I've seen and done some funky stuff once the timer goes off!
Also here locally there seems to be a battle of the bench monkeys with very nice guns and equipment and and people who shoot more practical/hunter type/under stress.
Should be interesting,any ideas I'm open too with this shoot!

look at the vortex extreme on you tube it is pretty similar to what you looking for

The vortex extreme is at spirit ridge down in Utah,had a few friends tell me it was great and its kinda where the idea has evolved from! I have been wanting to put it on for a few years now,just haven't had the time to really get it off the ground.

We have a similar shoot held once a month from spring to early fall. It's a lot of fun. They score it slightly different and you only get one shot per target. It's either a hit or a miss. Other than that it's set up very similar. They have two divisions, one hunter and one long range. I believe the hunter class goes up to about 500-600 yards where the specialty class goes out to 1350!

Here is the data on this match. Maybe some of you folks might want to come and try this match too!

Precision Rifle Match

We have a similar shoot held once a month from spring to early fall. It's a lot of fun. They score it slightly different and you only get one shot per target. It's either a hit or a miss. Other than that it's set up very similar. They have two divisions, one hunter and one long range. I believe the hunter class goes up to about 500-600 yards where the specialty class goes out to 1350!

Here is the data on this match. Maybe some of you folks might want to come and try this match too!

Precision Rifle Match

Hey thanks for the link! Its almost exactly what it is were going to be doing. Let's keep in touch and maybe we can chat and shoot some ideas back and fourth.

Maybe have one scenario: No ammo preloaded in magazine or chamber. (Cause I am sure everyone's experienced this once or a dozen time when Mr. or Mrs. critter comes walking in).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.