Point of impact?

lotek

Im an old east coast hunter, who spent most of my yrs with a 30-30.
I recently changed to a 243 with a scope because i was having trouble at 100 yrds, focusing with my iron sights, and had to make heart/lung shots instead of neck shots.
I read all these stories about shoulder or behind the shoulder shots on big game, and wonder if a head or neck shot is just too iffy out at 300 yrds?

Last edited:
Easy answer. How far can you hit a walnut that won't hold still. If you are honest, that's your range. Years ago I had a heart barreled swift I shot everyday at blackbirds in fields. Shot a lot of deer with it that way. Some quite far. Wouldn't try it today.

A walnut.......did you see the size of fhe walnut on the movie LAND OF THE LOST.......thats a big walnut....i might be able to hit it.......

Im an old east coast hunter, who spent most of my yrs with a 30-30.
I recently changed to a 243 with a scope because i was having trouble at 100 yrds, focusing with my iron sights, and had to make heart/lung shots instead of neck shots.
I read all these stories about shoulder or behind the shoulder shots on big game, and wonder if a head or neck shot is just too iffy out at 300 yrds?
For most people even with a scoped rifle headshots are far too difficult at that range. It's usually difficult to get a deer to hold their head still long enough to get a good headshot anyhow.

Like most of us over 40 it's probably time you admit your eyes are aging and get a good scope or stick to much closer ranges. You can however if your eyes are still decent make accurate heart/lung shots with open sights by aiming just behind a line from the elbow to the back of the shoulder blade.

Rarely will an animal run more than 50-100yds max with a good shot placed there with a good bullet that gives you a decent exit wound to expedite rapid blood loss.

For most people even with a scoped rifle headshots are far too difficult at that range. It's usually difficult to get a deer to hold their head still long enough to get a good headshot anyhow.

Like most of us over 40 it's probably time you admit your eyes are aging and get a good scope or stick to much closer ranges. You can however if your eyes are still decent make accurate heart/lung shots with open sights by aiming just behind a line from the elbow to the back of the shoulder blade.

Rarely will an animal run more than 50-100yds max with a good shot placed there with a good bullet that gives you a decent exit wound to expedite rapid blood loss.

All my heart/lung shots have run. Some into the thickest part of the swamp. No blood trail there. Fortunately, my Brittney
Loves water and has a vacuum cleaner nose. I have never attempt a shoulder shot with the 243. Perhaps I lack the confidence in its ability to break bone.
30 neck shots, all drt. Maybe the speed is making up for missing the spine or im just lucky.
Just what does a shoulder shot do, break the back?

Yup, high shoulder breaks/shocks the spine when it's done correctly. You need a bullet with deep penetration and plenty of disruption. Something bonded or a mono bullet like a Barnes or Rocky Mountain all copper. 243 is plenty fast at reasonable ranges so you get decent disruption, so long as the bullet doesn't blow up.

For the record, I saw a neck-shot elk run 50 yards and roll another 100. That said, I saw many more drop in their tracks when shot that way. All shots were pretty close. Personally, I go for the heart/lung area behind the shoulder because it's high percentage.

All my heart/lung shots have run. Some into the thickest part of the swamp. No blood trail there. Fortunately, my Brittney
Loves water and has a vacuum cleaner nose. I have never attempt a shoulder shot with the 243. Perhaps I lack the confidence in its ability to break bone.
30 neck shots, all drt. Maybe the speed is making up for missing the spine or im just lucky.
Just what does a shoulder shot do, break the back?

Properly executed it severs the spine just like a properly executed neck shot.

Personally if I'm going for the spine shot I like to aim more forward of the shoulder and a little lower than he is to avoid meat loss of the prime cuts. My aimpoint is the forward edge of the scapula about centered on the scapula's mid point or slightly below.

94d232d185ccd21fabaedb70e85db622.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.