"POINT BLANK" Question

fls

I have very little handgun experience but have a specific application that I was hoping to get some help with. I'm wanting a very small handgun to keep in my backpack for the purpose of finishing off a mortally wounded animal. Principally, coyote, hogs and whitetail. I have had numerous occasions where I had to blast a critter at point blank range with my 30-06 or 22-250. Not a pleasant or pretty sight. Was thinking of anything from 22LR to .380 but again, this really isn't my cup of tea. Would like to spend the least amount of $$ possible but reliability is a must. I'm fully aware that we often get what we pay for . . . anyway, please chime in. Thanks in advance! :)

22 LR.

If you shoot em in the base of the skull, it's instant and you wont mess up the cape or skull plate (assuming you may want to have one mounted). The 22LR won't exit on a point blank "back o the head" shot.

Other bigger calibers could maybe do irrepairable damage to the cape, unless you shoot for the body.............but that's not nearly as instant. A heart shot is not nearly as humane as a base of the brain shot IMO.

I would go with a 22 lr in either a revolver or a Ruger Mk I, II or III, They make a composite frame MkIII that is light and a lot cheaper. Like has been said. A 22 to the back of the head is a quick kill.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.