POI shift if muzzle brake not vertical/straight?

BergerBoy

I'm NOT a patriot... I am a U.S. Constitutionalist
I wanted to know if anybody has had any experience with this:

I had a dips%*t gunsmith awhile back thread a muzzle for a Surefire brake and he did NOT a-line it straight up and down so the vents were totally vertical. I did not notice any different grouping so I actually turned it 90 degrees so the vents were opposite how they were supposed to be - to see if I noticed any grouping changes.
Dust signature sucked (lol) and felt recoil changed but my groups stayed the same.
I ran a washer(s) on it and the muzzle brake was tight in all positions.
Anyone had any eperience like this?

Does muzzle brake position change grouping?

I orginally noticed with a flash hider on my .308 and started experimenting with the positioning of brakes and flash-hiders.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have experience with only Holland QD, Defensive Edge and an APS large PainKiller brake.

Angle of ports don't do squat as far as affecting accuracy or zero.

Makes one heck of a difference in dirt, gravel and snow signature. :D

Does muzzle brake position change grouping?

I agree with Roy, L:DL on the dust/debris signature comment. I know it's not the same as what you have but there are MBs out there like the BOSS, Tubb precision MB (no hands on experience) or similar design that does change the POI -- it allows the end user to tune and optimize the barrel vibrations/harmonics. The barrel goes through a series of vibrations as the bullet leaves the muzzle. The variations of these vibrations greatly affect the accuracy of the rifle. Controlling these vibrations will greatly control the accuracy of the rifle.

The BOSS simply tunes the vibrations of your barrel to the "sweet spot"as the bullet leaves the muzzle greatly increases accuracy. Similarly ...

The Tubb Precision Muzzle Brake is adjustable in two different ways. First, the brake can be adjusted rotationally to eliminate any sideways or angular movement of the muzzle during firing. Next, the lock nut allows the user to move the brake in and out on the muzzle to tune vibrational nodes. This has been proven to enhance accuracy.

Cheers!

I will say that with my Bob Green tuner on my 30BR I can vary the size of my groups with just the smallest amount of a turn on the tuner . I can have my Browning BOSS system set for 150gr bullet in my 300wsm and turn it to tune it for 180gr bullet weight. I would have to disagree, as it might affect the harmonics of the barrel on some guns and act as a tuner when moved . Then maybe not for some or they might not notice the change in the group size or point of impact, Anythings possible ....

I will say that with my Bob Green tuner on my 30BR I can vary the size of my groups with just the smallest amount of a turn on the tuner . I can have my Browning BOSS system set for 150gr bullet in my 300wsm and turn it to tune it for 180gr bullet weight. I would have to disagree, as it might affect the harmonics of the barrel on some guns and act as a tuner when moved . Then maybe not for some or they might not notice the change in the group size or point of impact, Anythings possible ....

I'm not exactly sure what you're disagreeing! :cool:

I think he is saying if you move the brake in or out you can change the harmonics just like a tuner does. I have seen tuners majorly change a group size with just a few thousandths of turn. Matt

We did ok. Started slow because too warm and full moon. Shot 3 bucks the last two days. My buddy shot one with my 338 Lapua IMP and my grandson shot one. That's 7 bucks in 3 years with 7 shots. I have seen strange things from a tuner or moving a muzzle brake with shims. I don't use a tuner because I am not sure they stay tuned like when you do it with powder charge and seating depth. Matt

I think he is saying if you move the brake in or out you can change the harmonics just like a tuner does. I have seen tuners majorly change a group size with just a few thousandths of turn. Matt

Matt,

That's what I didn't quite understand, the tuner and BOSS (or similar) is doing exactly that, tunes the barrel's vibrations/harmonics to the sweet spot (optimized) for increased accuracy.

I was fine with his comment until he said he "disagree". :D

Ed

Ok he said the groups didn't change. But the question he asked was could the groups change. Snowpro said he disagrees with the other posts about changing groups. He says point of impact could change or size of group. Both of which could be true. Tuners work in a funny way. Groups get smaller with little change and sometimes you can turn a lot and they will come back again. I have seen them change groups vertically and horizontally with very little of a turn. I have also seen where a complete turn or two keeps it the same. Turning the muzzle brake out and tightening on a shim would have the same effect as a tuner. Maybe he just got lucky and hit the same tune. Matt

Ok he said the groups didn't change. But the question he asked was could the groups change. Snowpro said he disagrees with the other posts about changing groups. He says point of impact could change or size of group. Both of which could be true. Tuners work in a funny way. Groups get smaller with little change and sometimes you can turn a lot and they will come back again. I have seen them change groups vertically and horizontally with very little of a turn. I have also seen where a complete turn or two keeps it the same. Turning the muzzle brake out and tightening on a shim would have the same effect as a tuner. Maybe he just got lucky and hit the same tune. Matt

Copy that, cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.