POI shift between outings

As previously mentioned, try a proven scope. How many rounds are you usually shooting per range session? Bring both scopes and 100 rounds .

Thanks for all the help guys. I have a NXS 5-22 and a SHV, both on heavy shooters now. The hunt is a backpack trip, trying to keep the weight down. I would rather have a heavy scope than no scope. I have other rifle oprions too, this is my lightest. I'll see what Leupold says and fill everybody in, maybe it will help someone in the future. I usually shoot 20rds or less. The shift has happened so infrequently I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't move for another 40-50rds, but it could be the next time I shoot.

As previously mentioned, try a proven scope. How many rounds are you usually shooting per range session? Bring both scopes and 100 rounds .

+1!!! If you have a proven scope to swap it's easy to isolate whether or not this is where the problem lies. I have experienced the problem you describe. IMO, the Leupold erector design is prone to this problem.

I called Leupold this morning. I was told that the scope can handle 40MOA of TOTAL travel. That includes windage and elevation together.
Looking back through old records they said that my scope was, at one time, adjusted just short of 30moa for windage. I had the scope sent back for an internal level issue right after I received it. Leupold asked who bore sighted the scope. I told them I did and while it could have been possible to need 30moa I didn't think it took that much.
Anyways I took the VX6HD off and centered the scope. I was using more windage than I thought, but less than Leupold thought. I was at 16moa of windage and around 22 for elevation (20MOA base). That's 38 minutes. Leupold said anything above 40 has "a lot of pressure and tension on the springs" and was most likely my issue.
I remounted in a one-piece NF base and bore sighted. I shouldn't need much windage to get on target. I will verify this weekend. If the less windage in the base helps my issue, I may try the Hawkins hybrid to lose weight and lower the scope. I may give Talley another try with a replacement set. They make the scope fit very well to the rifle. They are also 1/10" lower than the Hawkins.
If the scope has the same problem, I'll be hiking the NXS around for a week in September. I'll update when I know more.

Interesting explaination from Leupold.

When my 4.5-14 x 50 LR wasn't tracking well, they told me the grease must have migrated out of the erector area. Was told to do stop to stop rotation of elevation and windage turrets multiple times to redistribute the grease. The scope performed better but I never trusted it again and sold it.

You should know soon if getting it closer to center helps.

No worries.
I have experienced equipment failures both before and during a hunt, so I know the frustration.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.