Pocket PC/Palm Pilot HELP

Randy Dunn

Hello everyone,
My wife bought me a Night Force Ballistics program for x-mas and my intent was to install it on a palm pilot I have. Come to find out the program is for a windows based operating system and will not work with the Palm pilot operating system. The company that sold it to her said we can get a program that will work on the palm but it is not recomended; they said people had so many problems with the palm based programs that they(the company that sold her this program) does not sell the program that operates on the Palm anymore. I suppose I could send this back and buy the program from Night Force that works with the older Palm Pilot operating system but I also do not want a bunch of problems.

So my question is, what is everyone else using and what is recommened. I would like something durable and not overly complicated to use. A $1400 pocket PC would be almost impossible to justify at this time.

I am going to appoligize ahead of time for not being up on the computer lingo, I am hoping what I have wrote here is accurate.
Thanks,

radunn:

I've never heard of anyone having the problems that you were told about with the Palm based products. I've been running the Exbal software on a Palm for several years with no problems. I also have their software on my desktop PC.

You can see the Exbal software "Here on the Perry-Systems web page." You will notice that they sell software for Palm and PC based systems.

You can see the Nightforce software "Here on the Nightforce web page." You will also notice that they sell software for both versions. The Nightforce software is the same as the Exbal software.

If you have any problems or questions about the software, you can contact Gerald Perry at: [email protected]. He's always been great about help and questions.

I think that typically you can get a Palm based system much cheaper than a PC based system. The software doesn't take much memory and runs just fine on the Palms. I've always felt that if I lost or damaged the Palm, I could get another much cheaper than another PC system. I've never experienced a problem with the Palm other than some units lose the software installation if you allow the battery to go completely dead, so if you go with one, make sure it maintains everything if the battery goes dead.

Right now I'm using a Palm Zire 21 and it has the battery problem about not maintaining the software, so I just have to keep it charged. I'll probably update it this summer with a unit that does retain everything if the battery goes dead. You can get the Palms as low as $50-$60 new so they are really a very small investment for what they do.

I have the PC version of Exball and picked up a Dell Axim off e-bay complete with the loading dock and extra battery and software for 125. Throw in a car charger and case, and I thinkl I might have 150 total in the pocket pc part. Just keep looking and be ready to bid on a buy now should one pop up for what you want to pay.

Haven't had any problems from the software working with either the PC or the small handheld unit.

Thanks for the info everyone. I was looking on Perry's web site and noticed that the Pocket PC version does a couple things that the Palm version does not(I don't know if they are functions that I will need) also I called night Force and they said the Pocket PC version will be a slight bit faster. They also said that they haven't heard of any problems with the Palm version.

I'm am going to do what Mike/tx suggested and keep an eye out for something on E-Bay. The $1400 Pocket PC that I was refering to was the TDS Recon, wich seems to be the only outdoors, weather proof Pocket PC that I have run accross so far. It would be nice to have one that was made for outdoor use.

MagMan, thanks anyway for the offer to trade.

[ QUOTE ]
It would be nice to have one that was made for outdoor use.

[/ QUOTE ]

$1,400.00 will buy a lot of ziplock baggies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts