Help!

bhunting

I have posted here before and had great results so here we go again. I have a win mod 70 in a 270wsm. Everything has been done to this thing except for action and barrel both were new. I finally settled on a load with retumbo and a 140 Nosler accubond. Good speed and good groups at a hundred. I went out today to shoot 2&3 hundred. I was struggling with 200 yard groups, it was a little windy and my shooting rest is a piece of junk. I went back to a hundred and all was good so I shot one shell at 200 and it was where I needed it and moved to 300 and that was ok. So was I just having a bad day and getting frustrated or is that possible? Do most of you use bags or rests? I am thinking about getting bags cause my rest sucks.

Not exactly sure what you've got going on here, but it's worth saying that if you're going to be doing any kind of accuracy shooting, you need a rock-solid platform. Whether that's a table, prone on the ground or whatever, rock-solid is the key term. Given that I do not have a concrete bench from which to shoot, I generally do my accuracy shooting prone with a harris bipod on the front and a heavy rear bag.

Also, 100 yard groups are not a great indicator of accuracy. You need to be testing at 200 or 300 to truly determine whether a load is accurate or not.

I was shooing from a concrete bench with one of those purchased gun rest but a cheap one! At a hundred was around a .6-.7 group at 200 I would get a few together and then throw one or two out of a group. The more I think about it I'm pretty sure it was me. I had one of those days where my mind wasn't in the game. I just have never had a gun shoot at a 100&300 and not at 200. And in the past shot from bags and felt alot more steady so I think I'll be going back to them.

If you're shooting off a concrete bench, be sure to put some padding under your front end. during recoil on a hard surface, your rifle will 'bounce' and throw some shots high.

If what you're getting is an occassional shot outside the group, then you need to look at your shooting technique. Alternatively, are you reloading? if so, Berger bullets have a tendency to throw one out of the group because they are so sensitive to seating depth.

I am reloading and I am using Nosler accubonds and have done some playing around with the seating depth. I agree that maybe my technique may need some work. I had a trigger installed and set fairly light and feel when it surprises me I shoot well but other times when it don't surprise me then I don't. I can pretty much tell when it's gonna fly at times so I have been shooting quite a bit so maybe I should work on that more. Although I have been shooting for a long time and have no issues with my coyote rigs.

There are some good instructional clips in the video forum about shooting technique. Look for one or more by Darrel Holland.

It's easy to shoot well with one group and unintentionally change something simple such as placing a finger on the barrel or positioning a sling swivel against the rest which can throw things off.

In my opinion, Harris bipods are hard to beat from a consistency standpoint. While they aren't as good as a high dollar front rest, they are good enough to shoot well and are far more versatile.

At least you know the rifle has the potential to shoot well.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.