help

kevinll

OK guys, I have a problem, the more I learn about LRH the more I really learn what I still don't know! This is my latest confusion, my leupold scope has the BDC and out to 700 yards I can hit a paper plate.(remember I'm new to this) Some of you have helped with a drop chart and it is correct for my bullet/scope at different ranges up to 700 yds. at home. My problem is when I go to a higher elevation I am hitting high. Should I just run a drop chart for the new hunting elevation and turn/click back to the new drop chart numbers or try and make a chart to attach to the knob somehow? or am I still lost or missing something? My scope specs : 1 click = 1 MOA

thanks, Kevin

Take the BDC off and replace it w/the standard elevation knob. Shoot it @ the hunting elevation out to 700 yds. Record your results in MOA and make a chart. It's that simple.

The BDCs are great, for one set of conditions. Take it off and learn to think in minutes and you'll be able to adapt to alot of different conditions.

i have one comment and one question.

my comment is welcome to long range hunting. it gets fun out past 700!

my question is what scope do you have that moves one MOA with each click? seems a bit much.

Kevin,

What part of LA are you in?

You elevation change results is as it should be. That 1"/click is a bit of a bummer. If it is 1" @100 that would make it 10" @ 1K and 7" @ 700.

Usually when going hunting from say low elevation (LA) to a high elevation (CO) the first thing done is to check zero at a decent distance. From that you can adjust the drop chart for that elevation.

I'd make a new drop chart for the higher elevation. If you go there often it would be great practice.

If you go from high elevation to low elevation then you had best have worked up a load at a reduced powder charge. The boys in TX are running a few grains lower to get the same velocities as we in Idaho due to pressure. Plus the bullet BC is a bit lower down there.

Just some tho'ts.

Don't take this the wrong way cus I'm no expert on that Leupold scope, but if you have a long range tactical m 3 scope, it will have much finer adjustment than that.

Thanks Roy, with the setup I have that may be the only option. I may need to do as Bill Bailey said in the earlier post and change knobs. I am just outside Baton Rouge, LA.

Britz, this is the cam I ordered for the scope. At the time it seemed the better choice, less clicks to dail in! You are right that most M3 comes with finer adjustments. Live and learn.
thanks, Kevin

Glad you weren't insulted, I just know enough about rifles/ balistics/ loading, to know I don't know that much and be dangerous lol!

[ QUOTE ]
Kevin,

What part of LA are you in?

You elevation change results is as it should be. That 1"/click is a bit of a bummer. If it is 1" @100 that would make it 10" @ 1K and 7" @ 700.

Usually when going hunting from say low elevation (LA) to a high elevation (CO) the first thing done is to check zero at a decent distance. From that you can adjust the drop chart for that elevation.

I'd make a new drop chart for the higher elevation. If you go there often it would be great practice.

If you go from high elevation to low elevation then you had best have worked up a load at a reduced powder charge. The boys in TX are running a few grains lower to get the same velocities as we in Idaho due to pressure. Plus the bullet BC is a bit lower down there.

Just some tho'ts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roy
I have the same problem. All my loads are developed at 2500 ft. So far the camps I hunted out of expect you to show up with a rifle sighted in and offer no place to shoot once there. In the past I've hunted with a at home drop chart with sucess. But now my shots have been at longer range.
Should I use one of the ballistic programs and just put in the difference in elevation. If the program agrees with my at home chart, with 2500 ft elevation. At least that's my plan. Should it work?????

[ QUOTE ]
You are right that most M3 comes with finer adjustments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true... I have three of the M3 scopes - two of the MK4-M#'s and one of the M3-LRs.

I was a consultant to Leupold on problems with the M3 cams.

ALL the M3 scopes have 1 moa clicks... but nothing says the dial has to be set ON THE CLICK! You can set the elevation in between the clicks, try it its easy. I can easily split a click into three parts - that = 3" at 1000 yds, and that's no sacrifice.

I put one of these scopes on a .264 WM 1000 yd feral dog rifle I'm just finishing up. The M3 is faster to use than any other scope, and faster than a palm computer. Plus the batteries never die /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And another advantage is that with the standard scopes, it is easy to loose "your place" on the dial, and be a full turn (or two) on a long range shot - can't EVER happen with an M3 - your range is 800, you set it to "8", and that's it!

For other elevations than your "base", run the ballistics for other altitudes, and make a cheat sheet... so at X thousand feet, you add 1 click at 500, 3 at 700, and 5 at 1000 etc.

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are right that most M3 comes with finer adjustments.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not true... I have three of the M3 scopes - two of the MK4-M#'s and one of the M3-LRs.

I was a consultant to Leupold on problems with the M3 cams.

ALL the M3 scopes have 1 moa clicks...

[/ QUOTE ]

The man is correct. All M3 scopes are 1" clicks. My dad has one on an AR15 and it is a fine scope for that rifle.

Catshooter,

That was my reason for getting the M3, 1" per click. I never thought about a half click, thanks for the tip. I'll try it.
Kevin

[ QUOTE ]
Should I use one of the ballistic programs and just put in the difference in elevation. If the program agrees with my at home chart, with 2500 ft elevation. At least that's my plan. Should it work?????

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it will work. But, what I do is to run about 5 different drop charts for different altitudes. For each altitude I will run a couple of different temperatures. So in the end I have as many as 20 different drop charts for a specific cartridge for a specific hunt. Plus I determine for my load what the increment is for 10 degerees of temperature and for 1000 feet of elevation and have that available being as in the course of a day the temperature may change and you may change altitude. All of this paper to shuffle is why people like the little PDAs with Xball. But as was mentioned some things like paper don't require a battery.

I see no way around checking your zero. That simply has to be done.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.