plastic tipped sierra matchkings for hunting??

razorman

Hi ALL ,
Not long picked myself up a semi custom 264 winmag.
I plan to try some of the 6.5 / 130 grain plastic tipped Sierra Matchkings in my rifle!!
Has anyone tried them on varmints / small - medium game ????
Be very interested in your results please!!
All the best ,
Ray.

Razor, a friend works for a business owned by a large family. They all shoot Matchkings in custom 300Win and swear by them for elk to coyotes. Not my first choice, but try them and see. They are fairly reasonably priced.
Good luck

Razor, a friend works for a business owned by a large family. They all shoot Matchkings in custom 300Win and swear by them for elk to coyotes. Not my first choice, but try them and see. They are fairly reasonably priced.
Good luck
At last , over a 150 looks and one reply lol
First of all thank you for replying - its most appreciated!!!
Shall see how they shoot and report back!!!
Thanks again .

I have used Sierra Game Kings in the 40+ years I've been reloading and hunting and in various calibers. I've taken deer, bear, hogs and varmints with the GK all with great accuracy so I would think that the Tipped MatchKing would be a good bullet too.

I have used Sierra Game Kings in the 40+ years I've been reloading and hunting and in various calibers. I've taken deer, bear, hogs and varmints with the GK all with great accuracy so I would think that the Tipped MatchKing would be a good bullet too.
Hi Waynzee,
Thank you very much for your input too - much appreciated!!!
All the very best ,
Ray.

The 180 SMK (original design) was my goto bullet in the M14 and during hunting seasons and culling operations it performed rather well, never lost any deer or larger animal and shots were from spitting distance to beyond 800 meters...As far as the tipped MK's I haven't used them, so can't really say as my stock of bullets were purchased long ago and I am getting into the last 5000, so should still have more than a few years left, before I need to develop a new combination.

The 180 SMK (original design) was my goto bullet in the M14 and during hunting seasons and culling operations it performed rather well, never lost any deer or larger animal and shots were from spitting distance to beyond 800 meters...As far as the tipped MK's I haven't used them, so can't really say as my stock of bullets were purchased long ago and I am getting into the last 5000, so should still have more than a few years left, before I need to develop a new combination.
Thanks very much for your information too!!!
Much appreciated!!!
All the best.

SGK's are what I shot tons of at deer during my early years of reloading, even managed to kill some rather good hogs with them.

The BIG SMK's will definitely do the trick on large game but it's not a bullet you want to try and punch the shoulders with.

SGK's are what I shot tons of at deer during my early years of reloading, even managed to kill some rather good hogs with them.

The BIG SMK's will definitely do the trick on large game but it's not a bullet you want to try and punch the shoulders with.
Thanks for the reply and the heads up - most appreciated too!!!
Ray.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts