Pistol Powder Temperature Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Jeeper48, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Jeeper48

Jeeper48 Active Member

I apologize if this is a ignorant question but I wanted to asked before I proceed. Is temp sensitivity an issue with pistol powders and hunting for sub 50 yard shots? I would like to develop a couple of hunting loads for this upcoming season and didnt known if its something I should be concerned about. I know my limitations and would not take a shot past 50 yards so should I be concerned? I will likely develop the loads this fall, but hunting season in Iowa can get below 0 in December/January

2. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Temp sensitivity can be a problem with many powders but at short distances they don't have much of a bearing on most pistol cartridges.

Pistols that shoot rifle cartridges at longer distances can have issues with temp sensitivity and effect the POI.

J E CUSTOM

Jeeper48 likes this.
  3. MagnumManiac

MagnumManiac Well-Known Member

Temp sensitivity changes velocity, the issue with this is at long range, normal ranges would not see the difference generally, so you should be good to go.

I will caution you that some powders are finicky in cold weather, those like H110/296 can be dangerous in cold weather due to squibs.
    You need a tight crimp and hot primer with a max load.
    I use the same ammo in both my revolver and carbine, 240gr Gold Dot SP and 24gr of 296. I got squibs @ -8C with these loads, in fact a few just clicked and fizzled, there was yellow unburned powder on those when I pulled the bullets.
    My crimp was good on these, so I assume it was the cold weather causing the issue, even at 0C and 1C all shots fired with no problem.

Cheers.
    :)

Jeeper48 likes this.